Is it ok?

Options
Airwave!
Airwave! Member Posts: 2,466
edited 12. Oct 2016, 16:06 in Community Chit-chat archive
A new topic on the lines of the Last Leg (channel four on tv.) questions sent in by viewers for the team to answer two of whom are disabled. I found the whole subject compelling, it opened my thoughts to other problems.

Is it ok to talk about where a disability starts and stops. Is there a defining line? The ESA teams who interview claiments think their is. A lot of people with BB's seemingly are ok. Two examples that lead people to question disability.

Discuss.

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I've never watched the programme so I'm not quite sure what you mean but, if you'd like us to try to answer your questions, I'd say:

1. It's fine for me to talk about where my own disability starts and stops but, obviously, we have to be very sensitive to other people's feelings when talking about theirs.

2. Different rules must operate for ESA and PIP teams as they must assess. Without assessment no-one would be eligible for such allowances.

3. I doubt many people with authentic Blue Badges are 'OK' though many may look OK (eg someone with heart failure) which is quite different.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    In terms of The Last Leg (where all three presenters have some degree of disability, in the case of Adam and Josh not visible) it is OK.

I agree that it's a question which should be asked but maybe only by the disabled of each other? I think there are times when we misunderstand each other's needs because our needs are different. I don't have MS, polio, angina, diabetes, cystic fibrosis etc., I am not blind, deaf or dumb but I am compromised by arthritis; mind you my limited list could include our shared conditions as another complication.

The healthy are not compromised by anything apart from good health. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Options
    Is it okay when someone is staring at you in your wheelchair for several minutes to stick your tongue out at them?
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    Options
    Go on do it or maybe just smile and cross your eyes :lol:
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options
    bubbadog wrote:
    Is it okay when someone is staring at you in your wheelchair for several minutes to stick your tongue out at them?

Many years ago, I was in a wheelchair in the supermarket in a great deal of pain and a child of around 9-10 stared at me for a long time. I glared back deliberately until she looked away and have regretted it ever since.

What I probably taught her was that people in wheelchairs don't just look odd but actually are nasty too. Ever since then I smile, whatever the age, I, too, have been known to stare, unintentionally, at people who looked 'different'. It's a natural, human thing to do.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Airwave!
    Airwave! Member Posts: 2,466
    Options
    Yes, perhaps with a smile as well to get them on your side?

Whats worse, getting an overlong stare or being ignored totally because somebody is too embaressed to look?