Neck spasms again

GraceB
GraceB Member Posts: 1,595
edited 6. Oct 2016, 13:40 in Living with Arthritis archive
Well, my neck physio told me earlier in the summer when he discharged me that he'd be seeing me again before the end of the year. Sadly he's been proven right! :roll: My neck has now gone into spasms again, the dratted nerve pain down my arm is back and accompanied by numbness in my hand at times.

Looks like my partly prolapsed disc at C5-C6 has shifted a bit and pressing on the nerve again.

So my challenge for tomorrow will be trying to get a phone consult with a GP to ask for physio referral. (Trying to get an appointment with a GP is hopeless at times with my practice so a phone consult will be quicker).

GraceB
Turn a negative into a positive!

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,764
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    I'm sorry to read this, Grace, but it does sound about par for the course.

Does the physio actually do any hand-on – or machine-on – stuff or can you just continue with the exercises yourself?
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Hope you can get that call Grace, it must be so worrying when this happens..please let us know how you get on..x
    Love
    Barbara
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    Sorry to hear that Grace. Hope you can get a quick appointment with the physio. Did he/she recommend any exercises for you to do ? With the change in the weather my neck has started to become stiffer and more painful so it's back on with the scarves to keep it warm, and an extra neck exercise session in the early evening as well as my morning one.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • GraceB
    Thanks for the replies.

The physio did give me an exercise to do but he said when doing this that if the pain shot down past my elbow I was to stop the exercises. Exercise stopped! I have to move my head backwards, giving myself a double chin so my head goes back over my shoulder line if that makes sense!

He warned me that at best I'd always have a stiff neck but when the nerve pain returned it meant I needed more sessions with him, hence my needing to speak to the GP to get this sorted.

I'm wearing scarves - and trying to be elegant with them! Also making sure I don't sit in draughts or move my neck/head in an "illegal move". Easier said than done though at times.

GraceB
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    What a dratted nuisance. I hope you are able to see the physio sooner rather than later. Do you have a wheatbag you can tuck under a scarf for extra warmth? DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,870
    Oh Grace :(

Necks are dreadful aren't they? I am so sorry. They are so thin to carry the weight of our heads....

I tend to have a warmish wheaty on my neck when possible and lie down as much as I can. I gave up 'normal' pillows after a really bad bout when I lost sensation on my chest and upper arms.

I now use a shaped one which is memory foam. I am on about my 5th and take it everywhere :)

Hope you get some help and relief soon.

Love

Toni xxx
  • GraceB
    Managed to see a GP this morning. Referral for physio in as she agreed with me it's better to try and head this off before it gets as bad as it did earlier in the year. The GP I saw said all the signs are there that the spine impingement (as she referred to it) is back and it needs treating.

I have to ring the physio on Monday to organise the first appointment. Here in Kent you only get 3 sessions released at a time so I hope the 3 will deal with it this time. (Earlier in the year I had to have about a dozen sessions in all).

GraceB