Farewell, 'old' Humira pens.

dreamdaisy
dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
edited 19. Oct 2016, 11:25 in Living with Arthritis archive
And I mean 'old' in the design, I'm not using out-of-date medication. :wink: I used my last old pen yesterday and, despite my doing the usual, it stung for three hours. Surprise? Nah, no surprise, it does from time to time, it's no big deal.

My first humira jab was far from pleasant, it was done in hospital by a nurse who had not done one before, and, to enhance our mutual experience, had left her reading specs at home so was unable to see the instructions. :) I recall sitting in Daisy, death grip on the steering wheel and crying because it was so awful :shock: They want me to do this to myself at home? :shock: :shock: ON MY OWN? :shock: :shock: :shock:

For six months or so Humira night became an event involving cuddles, him witnessing the jab, a weep (by me) and consoling cuddles from him then a cuppa. How daft was that? (Not the cuppa bit, always the best way to go.) I then realised how unfair I was being to him and got on with it. We have to get on with things, end of.

In two weeks I will use my first new pen and, oddly for me, I am feeling a little apprehensive. They are supposed to be easier, more gentle and kinder, the eternal countdown for the bright green line is meant to be a thing of the past. I hope it is. DD
Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,764
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    I hope it is too. I have been fortunate enough never to have had to wrestle with pens old or new. This is a very good thing indeed as I struggle with the writing variety let alone the injecting ones.

I hope the new ones live up their blurb. Of course you will be apprehensive. We juggle quite a sufficiency of arthritic balls as it is. One extra is never a welcome proposition. But I'm sure you'll master it. (Better still, mistress it :wink: )
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    DD when I was phoned regarding my next delivery I was asked if I had received the letter regarding the change which I had and was told the change was that one of the ingredients that caused the stinging had been removed and to be honest I have not noticed any change to the pen itself.Just hope it still works the same. Mig
  • Starburst
    Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
    I've had the new ones for a while and despite my scepticism, they are much better. They don't sting at all. I'm not good with change but this was certainly for the better. I'm impressed. Hope you are too!
  • theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    DD - I did my first injection with the new humira pen last Friday, & the difference was incredible! There was absolutely no sting at all, honestly - I couldn't believe it. Ironically, I may not be on it after my next rheumy appointment later this month, after 9 years of 'stinging.'
  • dreamdaisy
    Thank you for the reassurance, everyone, I appreciate the support. Does it remain helpful to take them out of the fridge for 20 minutes or so before action? DD
  • theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    I still take mine out of the fridge until told otherwise.
  • mig
    Still take mine out I've not been told otherwise.
  • Starburst
    Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
    Yep, I still take mine out of the fridge. The leaflet said no change in the way we deliver the injection, so I took that to mean 20 mins out of the fridge, as I was doing before.
  • dreamdaisy
    Thank you, now I'm quite looking forward to doing my next one! DD
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    I never used a pen and never liked the sound of them myself. I've always had a 'normal' injection and didn't really have any major problems using it, although I was never brave enough to inject into the thigh.

Hope it all goes well DD. I'm sure it will.

Elizabeth xx
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • Numptydumpty
    Numptydumpty Member Posts: 6,417
    I hope it goes well DD, and remember, statistically, nine out of ten injections are in vein!
    Numpty
  • Becky88
    Becky88 Member Posts: 101
    Hello DD. You offered me some advice back in August when I was having trouble with the Humira injections. I have been using the new Humira pens for a few months now and I would say that they are less painful than the old ones. I have found that there isn't really any pain when the needle goes in. I hope that you too will find them less painful than the old ones.
  • dreamdaisy
    Hello again everyone, today should have been the big day but we were too busy living life as it should be lived (i.e. a long weekend away) so tomorrow morning it is.

I keep my thighs for the meth and my tummy for the humira, so tomorrow the left side of the tummy gets it! :wink: DD
  • mig
    Have you done it yet ? if so how was it ? (()) mig
  • dreamdaisy
    Hello Mig, thank you for remembering. I did it and, to be honest, didn't notice that much difference. It still seemed to take an age but there was a reduction in the amount of 'sting' which was pleasant. We went to a funeral today and a number of friends commented on how well I was walking which was pleasing as I have been trying to improve my muscle strength so maybe I am succeeding! DD