1 week post op ALIF surgery

Options
nearlybionic
nearlybionic Member Posts: 1,899
edited 19. Oct 2016, 05:56 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi
Thank you for all the lovely messages .
I had my surgery a week ago now and was in hospital for 4 days. I did not have good experience in hospital, and never felt they got my pain under control. I have had a anterior lumber interbody fusion L4/5. I have a large abdominal wound (34 staples) and internal surgical points to my spine. I have more metal work in me now too.
I am still in pain from my tummy, and have back ache when I walk. I can only sit for 20 mins x 3 times per a day, and lie flat in between. I am walking short walks in the house regularly. I am very tired still and not enjoying sleeping on my back again.
The district nurse is coming either tomorrow or Friday to take out my staples. I have been feeling up and down in mood, tearful at times.
Yesterday I had pain in my lumbar area again and strong sciatica in my left leg.This is a worry.
I will look in when I feel up to it but sitting with the laptop is not easy yet.
Take care x
NB

Comments

• barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hello NB
    You are having a rough time, I am shocked that they go through your tummy...in my mind they turned you over and went into your spine...just shows what I know :shock: I do hope that things improve very soon, we do put our faith in these things I know I do..please let us know how things are when you feel up to it...(()) xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    Options
    Hello NB - I'm sorry things are so tough for you, & that your pain hasn't been properly controlled. And what a big wound - I hope you may be a bit more comfortable once the staples are out. I'm not surprised your mood is up and down.

Take care & I hope things will improve for you very soon.
  • nearlybionic
    Options
    Hi
    Thanks Barbara, Sharon, and Theresak
    It is good to have this forum to talk to in these times.
    I will try to be more patient with myself and hope that the pain levels settle soon. Pain makes me very irritable!
    Mr NB has been great He has washed my hair for me, done way above and beyond, bless him. I am very lucky with my hubby. I have had lots of cards and flowers which is lovely too.
    I hope I can sleep better tonight, I will dr4eam of sleeping on my side!
    NB
  • Megrose2
    Megrose2 Member Posts: 331
    Options
    Hi NB. So sorry to hear that things are so difficult at the moment. I'm not really surprised that your mood is fluctuating, it's a lot for your poor body to cope with.

I bet having your hair washed has made you feel slightly better. My hubby, like yours, has been fantastic while I've been one-handed after the trapeziectomy. We are indeed blessed to have good partners. It makes all the difference.

I do hope that things gradually improve and the pain lessens. Thinking about you. Take care.

Meg
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,485
    Options
    Hi Nearly

Bless you I was in a lot of pain too to start with. I seemed to spend a lot of time lying down as I needed to take max dose of painkillers at the time. I was told sit a while stand a while, walk a little and l the rest of the time was asleep.

I was alone with my girls who were 8 and 5 and they enjoyed washing my hair a bit too much!!! they also put my socks on etc.

Your husband sounds great :)

I hope that the sciatic pain is a like my numb bottom and other bits - only temporary due to the fact that nerves will have been irritated badly by the surgery.

Sending you immense ((()))

Love

Toni xxx
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Hello, how lovely to hear from you and thank you for getting in touch. I completely empathise with the tummy wound, I had something similar in 2001 and life was extremely uncomfortable for a couple of months post-surgery but at least that was only in the one spot.

You have had a great deal of work done and I suspect the recovery will be lengthy but it was a lengthy process to get to the point of needing surgery. There are tough times ahead, of course your emotions will be all over the shop but be kind to yourself and be as patient a patient as you can be (something we all find hard so can understand). Good luck old girl! (as we say in this household) DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • dibdab
    dibdab Member Posts: 1,498
    Options
    Just wanted to send sympathy and very gentle hugs. Your poor body has been through so much it's no wonder you feel tearful and irritable, but what a blessing your husband is. I remember post C section over 30 years ago wanting to feel better immediately, but it takes so long for tissues to heal, and just getting back to some kind of normality is a marathon effort. Maybe now is a time for well loved DVD's and favourite music and nothing more than just 'being'. Hopefully having the staples removed will ease matters a little. Deb xx
  • nearlybionic
    Options
    Hi
    Thanks Toni, DD, and Dibdab
    Well the district nurse arrived this morning and took all 34 staples out. It was not painful at all-in fact my tummy is quite numb still yet which is a bonus! The nurse was lovely and said my wound looked good. She has put a dressing on which I can remove in a couple of days. And then I can have a shower!!!!!
    I have rested lots today to see if this reduces the back pain and sciatica, but not so far. I am not keen to ring the ward again as I rang yesterday and didn`t really get any answers or advice. I will see how I feel later.
    It is going to be a long recovery, but as you said DD it took me a long while to get to the stage of needing the surgery. I have had 2 C/Sections too Dibdab, and sort of remember being in pain but was very distracted with the newborns. My only distraction this time is my kitten and cat who keep taking my space on the bed :roll:
    I am very tired all the time but can`t seem to sleep in the day. Thank goodness for boxsets! and Movie channels.
    Take care all, and thanks for listening x
    NB
  • Starburst
    Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
    Options
    Oh bless you, poor NB. You've been through the mill. YouTube is a good distraction too. I don't know if you're into this but lots of people swear by knitting and crocheting.

Wishing you a speedy recovery. Be kind and gentle with yourself. Xx
  • nearlybionic
    Options
    Hi Starburst
    I have looked at YouTube a bit, but I am no good with knitting or crocheting unfortunately. My concentration is not good yet which is a shame as I have a few good books to read on my Kindle.
    I am colouring in with my adult colouring books, don`t laugh!! I am finding it quite therapeutic.
    I had bad day yesterday with abdominal pain, and feeling unwell. I slept quite well and am hoping for a better day today.
    Thanks for your message x
    NB