post op issue

Options
nearlybionic
nearlybionic Member Posts: 1,899
edited 20. Oct 2016, 05:38 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi
I had my staples removed last week after my ALIF spinal surgery. The nurse had said at the time that the wound looked to be healing well, and redressed it. She said I could take it off on Saturday for a shower and see whether I thought it needed a dressing afterwards.. So I had a shower yesterday, avoiding the area with the shower gel etc. After it noticed it was oozing a bit in 2 places. I redressed it and it continued a little then stopped. But today on the left side of the wound was oozing a lot, in fact I had to redress it 3 times. So I rang the district nurse who came to review the wound. She cleaned it and said she couldn`t see any signs of infection. As it was still oozing she applied a pack of gauze as well as the dressing. She will arrange for a nurse to come to review it tomorrow. I have noticed that the left side is very tender, more than the right, and I have felt a bit off colour. She was asking if I had been doing too much, which I have not.
So I will see if the wound has closed again tomorrow and fingers crossed for no infection.
So happy Sunday from a sore, tired, cranky, bored NB!!
NB

Comments

• nearlybionic
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Sharon
    The district nurse has been again today and has cleaned and redressed the area, it had been weeping yesterday but whilst she cleaned it there was no oozing today. I do not feel ill today, just tired but it is only 13 days since this surgery. She has taken my observations and I do not have a temperature. She is liaising with my GP surgery and seeing me again on Thursday.
    Thanks for your reply
    NB
  • theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    Options
    I hope it's just a ' blip,' NB, and glad your district nurse is keeping a close eye on you.
  • nearlybionic
    Options
    HI Theresak
    Thanks for your message. The nurse is coming tomorrow. I had lot of sharp pain in my wound area yesterday, I hope this is just healing pain. I do worry about infection and the risk to my THR`s.
    I am hoping to have a walk outside later if the weather stays dry here.
    NB
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Hello NB, apologies for the delay in replying but we've been away for a couple of days. The good news is that there's no sign of infection, and personally I am not surprised that you are feeling weary and bored, the early days of recovery are long and tiring because your body is still reeling from the latest 'invasion' of its privacy. Things will pick up in due course, I have no doubt about that. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • nearlybionic
    Options
    Hi
    Thanks DD
    I have been feeling a bit breathless and lightheaded for a few days so I rang my GP surgery to see if my blood results from the hospital showed any low iron. They had not been sent the result so I asked if I could ask the nurse to take bloods tomorrow. The receptionist said she would ask the GP which he wanted and would let the nurse know. Then my GP rang and asked me to go to see him asap to rule out a P.E. Luckily my Mum was here and she drove me there where I had a full check , obs, and chest check and a D Dimer blood test. This test was negative thank goodness or I would have been off to the medical assessment unit. So the district nurse is coming tomorrow and I have a blood form for her to take lots of blood tests.
    My GP said to go home and continue with my recovery-slowly!
    OK boss!!
    NB
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    I echo your GP's advice, yes it's boring, dull, frustrating and just plain tedious but so necessary for your overall good health. I'm wracking what is left of my brains to work out what a P.E. might be (sorry :oops: ) and I've never heard of a D Dimer blood test but it's good news it was clear.

The best place to recover is at home so don't risk spoiling that due to the very human and understandable impatience to get on with things, yes? DD
  • GraceB
    GraceB Member Posts: 1,595
    Options
    NB, I'm so pleased you had this checked. I hope you feel better soon.

DD - sadly I can tell you what a P.E., is. It stands for Pulmonary Embolism and is where an undiagnosed/un-treated blood clot/DVT moves from where it's sitting (usually in the leg), and travels to the heart/lungs. My partner John died of a P.E., and it triggered his massive cardiac arrest in front of me in Feb this year, and that's why I know what it is. (My description probably isn't exactly how a medical person would explain it, but that's how I describe it in layman's language).

Regardless of age, a P.E., can kill you. I've got to know a lady through another online Forum which is there to support people who have been widowed at a young age. This lady's husband is buried two graves away from my John. He was 31. He died from a P.E.

For those reading this post please, if you or anyone you know has a suspected blood clot/DVT (call it what you like) get it checked - and treated if needs be - urgently!

GraceB
    Turn a negative into a positive!
  • mermaid
    mermaid Member Posts: 104
    Options
    Dear NB, very glad you got thoroughly checked out and do hope you feel better soon.You have had a very big op and it is early days. Your body has been through trauma and it will take time to recover and heal. Sounds as if you have good care. Hope bloods are OK.

Grace, I am so very sorry to hear about your loss, that is so very sad and must have been such a big shock for you and a recent bereavement. Thinking of you and hope you have good support around you.

Just as a point of interest, I had sudden pain in my leg after coming out of a plaster cast for 3 months following ankle fusion. Clot was suspected and D dimer test result was sky high (in several thousands rather than a few hundred). However a scan revealed no clot although I was given the clot busting injection anyway. Turned out to be a fractured tibia due to osteoporosis! They told me afterwards that active RA can give a false positive D dimer result.

Take good care both of you. xx
  • nearlybionic
    Options
    Hi
    Grace- I am so sorry for your loss. You description I am sure will be easier to understand than a medically jargoned one. I have a very thorough GP who won`t leave things to chance. Abdominal surgery is one of the risk factors for P.E. (sorry DD for using the abbreviations).
    The district nurse has just been to review my wound and redress it. The leaking is less and the wound does not look infected still. She will come again on Monday. She could not take the bloods as she had not been informed of them, but she has arranged for an HCA to come later today to take the bloods that my GP has requested yesterday.
    I can feel can improvement in the pain in my abdomen. My back is more painful . I am trying to balance my mobility as advised with rest etc. The nurse asked about my emotional wellbeing and I was honest with her that I have felt tearful at times, but I don`t feel anxious or worried. I don`t think I feel depressed, but I will keep an eye on things. I feel more frustrated really, and guilty that my predicament is increasing Mr NB`s workload. He is also having back pain, and I am trying to advise him about caring for his back. He is self employed in the building trade so needs his back to be strong. It is his actual birthday tomorrow, although we celebrated the surprise 50th before my op. My daughter is coming home from Uni tonight to see her Dad, and I am looking forward to seeing her.
    Thanks DD and Mermaid for your replies also x
    NB
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Thank you, Grace, for the explanation and there is no need to apologise, NB, for using an abbreviation which is familiar to you; both of you have increased my knowledge which I hope I will remember! DD