Pain relief

Options
Gillianfirst
Gillianfirst Member Posts: 2
edited 26. Oct 2016, 08:40 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi, I have was diagnosed with Osteoarthritis in my right hip, knee and ankle around two years ago and have tried various painkillers from my GP. Most recently I have been on Paracetamol Dihydrocodeine tablets and also Nefopam but they have become less and less effective over time and I find myself hobbling every day. Just over a week ago I ran out of Nefopam tablets and had to wait 5 days for my prescription. During this time I have found that I am less stiff and although I am still in pain it is no where near as bad as it has been before. I am managing to do things much more easily and because of this I am reluctant to start taking the Nefopam again. I don't want to mention this to my GP just yet in case he stops the Nefopam and it turns out there is another explanation for my feeling a bit better. As Nefopam is quite an expensive drug my GP might be reluctant to put me back on it again. I just wondered if anyone had experienced something like this or heard of someone who has. Thanks

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Gillianfirst and welcome to the Arthritis Care forums.

It does sound as though you are having a welcome respite but are cautious as to the cause of this :) Perhaps keeping a short diary might help and will be informative to take along to your next appointment with your doctor.

I'm sure other forum members will be along soon to describe their own experiences and with their own valuable advice.

Best wishes
    Brynmor
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,719
    Options
    Hi Gillian. Sorry, I can't really help. I find all analgesics lose their potency the longer one takes them so I keep mine to an absolute minimum. If you can manage without I'm sure you'll be better without. But, if they're strong ones, liaise with your Gp. .
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Hello, I have PsA which has led to OA in some very useful joints. In my earlier days I flirted with the stronger pain relief methods (including oramorph) but soon realised that anything I took only provided temporary 'relief' (a strong word for a pitifully little result) and, rather removing the pain from me removed me from the pain, which was less than helpful.

I now keep my pain relief to the minimum, namely four 30/500 cocodamol per day. This provides sufficient pain dulling for me to carry on but I can still feel the required pain feedback to tell me I need a rest. It also means I have room to manoeuvre when things worsen, which they have been known to do from time to time. :wink:

We have to find our own ways to cope, I am a firm believer in distraction whether it be reading, doing puzzles, watching telly, doodling, colouring in (now that is therapeutic) simply because it works for me and has done since childhood (I had chronic asthma in the days before inhalers). Please keep in touch, we do understand how tough life can because we are all in very similar boats.

I wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • mellman01
    mellman01 Member Posts: 5,306
    Options
    I generally only use pain killers when things are bad, I have Dihydrocodeine and take paracetamol with it as it enhances the pain killing effect but I'll only take it for a few days tops then stop as I don't want to become addicted to them so I have a break to avoid doing so. For my neuropathic pain I now take Prozac and it's been the most effective drug of all for that kind of pain, I'd tried anticonvulsants and Nortriptyline, the anticonvulsants made me sick as a dog and the Nortrip works well for my neck OA pain but again doesn't do anything for my for the neuropathic pain which is odd but there you go!.