Memory loss - feeling really frightened

Options
Paleogirl
Paleogirl Member Posts: 75
edited 26. Oct 2016, 03:29 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi

I wonder if anyone has experienced memory loss? I know I have extreme fatigue caused by the illness and meds but now I'm having real problems with concentration and memory loss.

So struggling to drive safely due to concentration and mind wandering but the last two days the memory loss has been much worse. I had to change my password at work yesterday, went to log on this morning and couldnt remember what I had changed it to. A complete blank. Sat down now and couldn't remember the password for here. Something I know off by heart. Went to see the nurse today, handed me a bottle to do a urine sample. I went straight to the loo and was half way through before I remembered to do it...the very thing I had gone for. I'm also struggling at work to think of simple words.

I have recently started methotrexate but wouldn't have thought I had that much in my system yet to make a difference.

I feel like I am losing my mind quite literally

Comments

• Starburst
    Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Paleo

I'm a social worker for older adults and often sit in the mental health meetings. The psychiatrists always say that the single biggest cause for memory loss in under 65s is anxiety.

Fatigue is a big contributor towards memory loss and what many people call "brain fog". Fatigue management is key and pacing. Have you had a read of anything on here (and other websites) about pacing and fatigue?

If I'm correct, you're quite newly diagnosed? So, it's all quite shocking and difficult in the beginning. It does get easier, I promise. You learn new strategies and adapt.

Sophie x
  • dibdab
    dibdab Member Posts: 1,498
    Options
    I understand your worries, it's so much to take on board. I often forget passwords, I put it down to a combination of fatigue, poor sleep and pain killers....and increasing age :oops: . I've got a tiny note book that I keep passwords and such like in, or use a memo on my phone, as for forgetting stuff, it's not at all unusual for me to go into the kitchen and forget what I went for!

Try not to panic, things will settle and you'll get to grips with what you need to tweek to make life easier to cope with. If you can build in time to rest and try to spread out chores the fatigue becomes easier, but I understand your fears about driving, I have to admit that I seldom use my car now and when I do try to use quieter roads.

Deb x
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I have a shocking memory now, as I head into my twenty-first year of this malarkey it's worsened over time, commensurate (I think) with the increasing levels of pain I experience on a daily basis. I repeat myself which irks the Spouse greatly (but he disbelieves it when he does the same because he's forgotten he's already told me something maybe five minutes earlier!)

For me I don't think it's anything to do with medication, it's more age-and-pain related, together with lack of decent quality sleep. I could add more pills to remedy that but I don't want to take any more medication. I have to wake to turn over and, if by chance I do sleep well I don't move for hours so waking up is more hellish than usual - I can't see the point in deliberately causing that. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • jaynetav
    jaynetav Member Posts: 4
    Options
    The advice and discussions here are really helpful. My husband mentioned that he was worried about my memory and my repeating myself. I told him it was just the tiredness and disturbed sleep, so good to know that you all agree. I use the notes and reminder sections on my phone more. Stay positive and smile and you will feel better.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    Options
    Hi,
    this thread has made me think would it be worth us putting together a list of ways in which people cope with their poor memory? We could make it a sticky thread at the top of the living with arthritis forum and anyone who wants to contribute their suggestions good at something there. I know that other sticky threads have proved very popular in the past and just wondered if this might be a new one we should consider?
    Best Wishes
    Sharon
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,719
    Options
    A kind thought, Sharon, but personally I'm not convinced it's a good idea. An official sticky would imply that arthritis ushers in memory loss. I don't think there's any evidence for this though there might be. Strong pain relief is another matter.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    Options
    Hi stickywicket,
    I certainly would not want to suggest that poor memory is a direct result of having arthritis, however we all know that fatigue can cause "brain fog" as it is sometimes called. So maybe we need to think about calling the thread something like coping with the brain fog of fatigue, or something like that, any suggestions for a title would be greatly received.
    Best Wishes
    Sharon
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Options
    Hi there paleo, I think we here on site can all say we suffer from all sorts of memory loss, me myself suffer with terrible memory loss. Like you I forget passwords all the time so now keep them in a book that is at easy reach always. The worse is appointments! I now have a couple of days reminder alarm on my mobile and the appointment in caps. Also birthdays again have an alarm reminder on my mobile to remind me to get a card and the day of the birthday and name on the date highlighted. I can be chatting and loss the thread of what we are talking about. I think it is a cause of a couple of things meds side effects, tiredness and stress. So don't worry your certainly not alone!!
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    Options
    I'm another one, and I can no longer hold lots of things in my mind at once which can impact on work as well as other things. I also find I easily get overwhelmed at times if I have lots of things that need to be done.
    Passwords, at work I have two, one stays the same,for the one I have to change from time to time I have one key word and alter the number that follows 1, 2, ...

At home? Some I save, others I change yearly. I also have a diary app on my phone, and a planning tool one which enables me to note down things I need to do when I think of them, allocate to a group, and prioritise. Being who I am I love crossing things out when I've done them. I find both of these really help as they reduce the memory load, at work I have a simple planner sheet which is another visual prompt.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • Paleogirl
    Paleogirl Member Posts: 75
    Options
    Hi all. Thanks for the comments. Whilst I appreciate not everyone gets every symptom I think memory loss, lack of concentration is a common one and a sticky post would be useful.

Otherwise I think people could struggle on thinking only they feel like they are going mad or indeed panicking that they have dementia as well. I think it is quite reassuring to know it can be associated with the disease for a variety of reasons.

It was certainly sudden and dramatic for me and quite frightening as I always had excellent concentration. I would definitely describe it as brain fog
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Options
    I defiantly recommend using a mobile phone app to help with passwords and things you need to remember. I use a memo app for those. But if you need reminding of doing some next day or for a couple of days after I use an app called 'any.do' it covers tomorrow, upcoming and custom days. It's my go to app to use in conjunction with calendar. Hope this is a help.