ANOTHER MOAN

Options
hileena111
hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
edited 27. Oct 2016, 06:46 in Living with Arthritis archive
I'm still waiting for my TKR and yesterday I ended up in hospital for most of the day :?
I tried to get out of bed and couldn't. I was really sore. Couldn't put my foot on the ground. I actually screamed when I tried to get up.
To get to the bathroom {crutches were no good} I sat on my 4 wheel rollater and Peter pushed me to the bathroom.
He rang the GP thinking that he would get a message giving an emergency doc number but it only said in emergency ring 999 or if not an emergency ring 111
I was taken to the hospital, in agony, couldn't sit, couldn't lie down on the bed. Doc {never seen him before} asked questions, sent me for an X Ray came back and said that there was no difference in this X Ray and the last one so I must have trapped a nerve. Nothing he could do Go home.
I woke up this morning still as bad. Not able to move or put weight on that right leg. The pain goes from my buttock, down my leg to my ankle.
Sorry I'm just venting..........I know there is nothing anyone can do.
Love
Hileena

Comments

• Megrose2
    Megrose2 Member Posts: 331
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    So sorry to hear that you're in such pain, Hileena. I do hope you can talk to your GP today and get some relief. Take care.

Meg

P.S. And you're not moaning! Unfortunately, we all know exactly what you mean.
  • nearlybionic
    nearlybionic Member Posts: 1,899
    Options
    Hi Hileena
    Sorry to hear that you are having a bad time. Have you tried heat on your lower back if they think it is a trapped nerve issue. The other thing I wondered about was if you take Gabapentin or Pregablin which helps with nerve pain? Sorry if I am suggesting things that you have already tried .
    NB
  • theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    Options
    Ooh, sounds nasty Hileena - I'm not sure how well ordinary painkillers work on that sort of pain. I had a similar thing a few years ago & they gave me diazepam & kept me in most of the day. I think I'd get in touch with your GP.
  • dibdab
    dibdab Member Posts: 1,498
    Options
    Just sending sympathy, hope things settle soon. Xx
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Oh dear, yet another set-back, isn't it time your luck changed? I think so. ((( ))) DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • TheLordFlasheart
    TheLordFlasheart Member Posts: 302
    Options
    Hope things get better soon and you get that TKR.
    "Stoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast"
  • Starburst
    Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
    Options
    Ouch, poor you. You're having a real rough old ride, aren't you?! I second the discussion with your GP about nerve drugs like amitriptyline or gabapentin. Take care.
  • hileena111
    Options
    Hi Everyone
    SHARON ........I cant get my GP at the moment I'll try again tomorrow. I doubt if I can have any tablets for nerve pains....I'll bet most of them are contra-indictated with my epilepsy tablets :roll: I'm stable and have been for over 30 years but still take tablets and I've no intention of taking anything that might clash with them......I drive {normally} and lead a normal life so don't want to mess that up. Thanks anyway for the suggestions I will try again tomorrow.

MEG like I said to Sharon ...cant get my GP today so I'll try again tomorrow

NB I've just moved from the chair to the table to have a check on any posts. While I was sitting there I had a hottie behind my and one {snake like one} wrapped around my leg.
    As for Gabapentin and Pregablin....... those are 2 that clash with my other tablets :roll: Thanks for the suggestions

TEZZ I will try and get in touch with my GP tomorrow.....got to admit I've never had diazepam.

DIBDAB Thanks.

THE LORD FLASHEART Thanks.....my date for the TKR is 18th of November but hope this nerve pain or whatever it is goes before that. I haven't done any volunteering for Arthritis Care for ages. :cry:

DD I do think its time my luck changed....yes :lol:

STARBURST.....Have you seen the above posts about those tablets? What a pain it is when you take some important ones that seem to clash with almost everything

Love
    Hileena
  • Starburst
    Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
    Options
    Oh that's frustrating. Some epilepsy medications are good for nerve pain, so it might be worth at least having a chat with your GP? I don't know much about epilepsy (except via my best friend who has it) although of course, it's crucial not to disturbe the balance if you're well settled on meds.

Have you tried alternating heat and ice? Very simple but can be effective. Take care x
  • hileena111
    Options
    Hi Starburst
    Thanks for your reply. If there is even a little chance that it might cause a seizure I'll just hope that in a months time after the op. this nerve pain will have gone. :?
    Its been so long, and I have been stable, don't know what I would do if I lost my licence {or killed someone or myself in a crash :roll: } I got through to one of the GP's in our practice yesterday. She tried to be helpful but could only suggest the meds that are contra-indicated .........she then said why don't you try a TENS. To be hones I had forgotten about that. I was using it on my back a long time ago but it wasn't very successful but it's always something else to try with no risk
    I will try that. See how it goes

Love
    Hileena
  • Paleogirl
    Paleogirl Member Posts: 75
    Options
    Hi Hileena

Could well be a trapped nerve especially if the pain going down the leg isn't all the way down. A really tell tale sign is if it stops at the knee then starts again in the ankle.

I had severe problems with trapped nerve and ended up in Bristol spinal unit. It can be quite hard to treat but diazepam does work for some as a muscle relaxant. Also Amitriptyline is often prescribed.

The best thing i found that worked was acupuncture. Not the ying yang Chinese sort but proper medical acupuncture. There is a society of medical acupuncturists it may be worth getting in touch with. Many of them work in spinal units.

Hope you see some improvement xx
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,485
    Options
    Ouch Hileena!

I get this and totally understand you probably can't take many of the 'usual' nerve ain meds, but your GP will probably give you some diazepam (have you had to have this in the past?).

It's often used as I am certain you will know to help people out of seizures and Lucy was allowed it for back pain in hospital when the leukaemia was hurting her too much.

I think amitrip was a no-go because I asked. At least for her.

I totally understand your fear about anything which could set the epilepsy off.

I can't remember who suggested heat, but if you haven't tried it it's definitely worth a try.

Sending much love

Toni xxx
  • hileena111
    Options
    Hi
    Yes I think it is sciatica........I've got an appointment with the GP Wed afternoon
    I have tried heat and yes its good.

No Toni I haven't tried diazepam, if she doesn't suggest it I might ask.
    Amitrip is def a NO NO ....been there, and said no to it. Its a long time ago and one of the docs in the practice suggested it and from the depths of my mind I remembered something about contra indication with ep tablets. I asked him and he said no. I asked him to humour me and check :lol: which he did and said....well......it could cause seizures but not on the dose I'm giving you.....the lowest.
    I said is there any chance of it affecting me even on the lower dose? Well nothing is set in stone was his reply. So I didn't take it
    Its 33 years now since I had anything. I remember what Lucy said to you after she met me {that was a while back!} something about how I could lead a normal life etc. It made her feel a bit better about herself I think.
    I nearly had an early appointment for my knee replacement.
    The consultant's secretary reang me today and said he had been given an extra clinic and would I like to come in on the th instead of the 18th. I said yes. Got a call later, he was in clinic all day on his own and didn't read his emails until later. By then he had given all of the appointments for this extra clinic to the people he saw today. I was gutted!!!!
    Oh well 18th it is.
    Love
    Hileena
  • frogmorton
    Options
    You were the first adult Lucy had met who also had epilepsy and had had a career and drove so an excellent role model for her Hileena :)

Sadly she had a seizure in August so driving is back 'on hold' for her for now.

She was allowed the diazepam so absolutely has to be worth a try for you.

Thinking of you and hoping everyone is doing ok at home

Love

toni xxx
  • hileena111
    Options
    Hi Toni
    That's good that I was a role model for someone :wink:
    I saw the GP today and she mentioned diazepam but said I could only have it for 2 or 3 days because it was so addictive.
    Tis was the sort of thing that cleared by itself. Then she said in fact you would be better sitting talking to a physiotherapist instead of me. The only thing is it will be a long time before you get an appointment with the NHS
    So I'm going to a private one. I've been to this one twice before {long time ago} I got enough exercises to keep me going then decided to use those and stop going to him because it was so expensive.
    But when you are as sore as I am now it doesn't matter about the expense. I tried to ring him when I left the surgery but he had closed so will try first thing tomorrow and see when he can take me.
    Everyone is fine thanks Toni......Love to Lucy and the rest of the family

Hileena
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Sorry Hileena I haven't been in LWA for a while so behind with everything..but put it all in an email..x
    Love
    Barbara
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    Options
    Hi Hileena,
    it is such a shame that there is such a long waiting list for the physiotherapist in your area I hope you get on well with the Private physio. Do keep this up today to let us know how you get on I hope it eases your pain soon
    Best Wishes
    Sharon
  • frogmorton
    Options
    Hileena

I am pleased to hear everyone is well :)

Lucy had a 7 day course as did I now I remember prior to my back operation many years ago.

I am sorry you are having to pay for your physio, but really I can't blame you ((()))

Love

Toni xxx