Apologies for absence

Options
stickywicket
stickywicket Member Posts: 27,719
edited 27. Oct 2016, 11:01 in Living with Arthritis archive
As you may know, we moved to Scotland last week. The new bungalow, neighbours and village are lovely and it's a real boost to the spirit to see green fields and blue hills just going to the supermarket.

But there's still a lot to do. Yesterday the man came to measure up for a ramp at the front door and more, shallower steps at the back. Today another man comes to try to make my lovely kitchen drawers more accessible. I've ordered a new bath lift (guaranteed for life, allegedly, and an even higher raised loo seat. (And a crash helmet in case I crack my head on the ceiling?) We've signed on at the local health centre (which has a co-op next door. How civilised!), signed up to vote and need to sort out a washing line, the back door lock, curtains and more and more boxes.

In short, we're getting there but the neglected room is the 3rd bedroom/study. Eventually, I shall type my replies at the desk looking out on the garden but, right now, the computer isn't even set up. I'm confined to my tablet and my fingers and touch keyboards are not best mates.

So, my replies, for now, will be intermittent and short. That may well be a good thing for all of you :lol:
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
Steven Wright

Comments

• dibdab
    dibdab Member Posts: 1,498
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Good to know that you've arrived safely and have all the necessary adaptions in hand, hope it very quickly begins to feel like 'home'.
    Deb xx
  • theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    Options
    Lovely to hear from you, Sticky - your new home sounds lovely, and I'm sure you'll have everything sorted in time.

Have you ' registered ' at The Buccleugh yet?!
  • pot80
    pot80 Member Posts: 109
    Options
    Best wishes to you and I hope that it all goes really well. It sounds as though your thought and planning will pay off and that you will be very happy.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    There's no need for apologies my lovely, moving is a huge challenge both before and after the event and I am very pleased that you are settling so well into your new surroundings. ((( ))) xxx DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Megrose2
    Megrose2 Member Posts: 331
    Options
    Pleased that you are settling in so well, Sticky.

Meg
  • Melanie17
    Melanie17 Member Posts: 67
    Options
    Good luck Sticky.That sounds idyllic.An here is a swimming pool for the garden :splash:
  • Amerififer
    Amerififer Member Posts: 13
    Options
    Welcome to Scotland :)

I'm in the Fife region.. Glad your move went smoothly.
  • Starburst
    Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
    Options
    How it is up north, very far north?! I did remember you were moving but not sure when. Hope you're nice and settled. Are you in a town or more rural?

Take care. :)
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Options
    I know from experience you will still be 'moving in ' after 12 months! But just take your time with the simpler things and concentrate on the things that are important like ramps and disability aids 1st everything else will fall in to place after that. Good luck !!
  • nearlybionic
    nearlybionic Member Posts: 1,899
    Options
    Hi Sticky
    Good luck in your new home. I hope you will be very happy there.
    Enjoy!! xx
    NB
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,719
    Options
    Thank you so much all you lovely people. I really appreciate your good wishes.

It has all gone amazingly well. We love the house and the village and the people are very friendly. It's great to be so near (10-15 minutes by car) our son, dil and grandson.

Well, you'll all be glad to know I've had a bath :lol: The new bathlift and loo seat are perfect and the kitchen cupboards have been measured for new pull-out inserts. After receiving a quote of £3,500 to put a ramp at the front and more, shallower steps at the back, Mr SW has swung into his DIY mode. He has a project and is happy.

We're slowly, with several false starts, getting the bungalow as we want it. The computer desk has been moved three times and the living room furniture every other day just about :roll: Every time I clear a nice wide path he fills it with something :roll: But that's our marriage :lol:

We're still emptying boxes but I'm coming to grips with my first ever electric oven and the wine was unpacked very early on :D We keep making lovely discoveries - today the local garden centre which is much bigger and better than it seemed from the outside and a hairdresser that is not only accessible but is also just over the road from the health centre and coop with reasonable parking.

I loved our old house and I love our new one. I'm a very happy, lucky SW.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    Options
    Great to hear how happy you are in your new home.
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Sorry this is late SW, but I am so glad you are settling in your new home..its makes such a difference when you have a friendly neighborhood..and happy to hear that all went well..good luck in your new home.. :D
    Love
    Barbara
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    Options
    So pleased to hear the move has gone well, and I'm very impressed with how much you have achieved already, it also sounds as though the local area is perfect as well.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich