Bug? Fibro? Flare?

Options
dreamdaisy
dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
edited 24. Oct 2016, 04:54 in Living with Arthritis archive
All I know is that things are not as good as they can be (DD gives a hollow laugh). I'm doing the hot and cold thing in fine style, I'm back to carrying around a flannel somewhere about my person plus a very thin layer of either cotton or silk for the shivers (donned when shivering then ten seconds later discarded thanks to melting - fibro?). My temperature is raised by one degree to 36 (which hints at a bug ?), I am coughing occasionally but with some style, I'm not sneezing but filling a tissue in fine style when required. I am not overly tired which rules out a flare - or does it? (DD thoughtfully strokes her chin and finds another witch whisker - bad move on her part.)

I humira-ed yesterday but won't meth tomorrow, just in case it is a bug. I'm not unduly bothered, whatever is happening is happening and it will end, because everything does, and I will go to the docs if things don't improve but this is one of those times when I wish that - oh how do I put this nicely? I don't think I can so here comes DD in her size 7s plunging in at the deep end.

I am sure that life would be more straightforward if I had just OA. Of my two 'afflictions' I prefer it, it's much more honest in how it presents, in what it does and how it does it, you know where you are (yup, up a creek without a very handy paddle) but it doesn't lie (well, mine doesn't).

But the auto-immune dross?

It's cunning, deceitful, secretive, sly. So, am I bugged, fibro-ed or flaring? I've ruled out the third so just the two to juggle. Wot larks Pip, what arthritic larks. :roll:

I am an exasperated DD.
Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben

Comments

• Sharon2960
    Sharon2960 Member Posts: 329
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Sorry you're feeling so grotty, but loving the humour in your post! Hope you feel bit better soon
  • dibdab
    dibdab Member Posts: 1,498
    Options
    Blinking Arthur is a nuisance in all it's manifestations....which ever particular ailment is causing your thermal fluctuations I hope it resolves to the state we laughingly call normality soon! :?
    Deb
  • GraceB
    GraceB Member Posts: 1,595
    Options
    DD, I hope that whatever it is, it has the sense to depart from your good self ASAP! How dare this gremlin - from whatever source - afflict itself upon our very own DD? Shocking behaviour - just shocking!

GraceB

(And only you could have the ability to find humour in being afflicted as such. ((( ))) for you. Get well soon. Take care.)
    Turn a negative into a positive!
  • applerose
    applerose Member Posts: 3,621
    Options
    Sorry you aren't too good at the moment. Maybe write down each complaint on a piece of paper, fold the paper, put in a hat and pick one. It doesn't matter how bad you feel, you are always cheery and don't seem to let anything get you down. Hope you feel better very soon.
    Christine
  • Megrose2
    Megrose2 Member Posts: 331
    Options
    Sorry to hear that things are grotty for you at the moment, DD. If your temp is raised and you are blowing your nose, it certainly sounds as though it might be a bug, which, as we know, finds all our weak spots.

Rest, fluids and patience, I'm afraid. Hope that things soon improve for you. Keep on swimming!

Meg
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your replies and good wishes. The past few weeks here have been physically demanding thanks to being floored (in the carpet-and-vinyl sense) quickly followed by being roofed (the chaps are merrily banging away as I type). We're in the second week of this, just one more to go. What began as a relatively small area to be done soon turned into a much larger affair - 2,500 new tiles have been delivered thanks to shoddy workmanship dating back anywhere between thirty and fifteen years. The youngest lad, Adam, has carefully ferried them barrow load by barrow load from the drive to the far end of the house and has broken three, which I reckon is pretty good going! Anyhoo . . . .

I have decided I'm bugged. I have prescribed myself buckets of proper tea (none of the flowering nonsense at the moment, that will not cut the bug mustard) plus a day lounging on the sofa being entranced by Homes Under the Hammer (yup, I'm feeling that feeble). I would like to be in bed but the hammering directly overhead means that my boudoir is far from peaceful. I wish you all well. DD
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    Options
    If you're feeling really really feeble watch Jeremy Kyle :? :lol: (((())))
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,719
    Options
    Just a thought. If you have just been floored and are now being roofed, no only will they involve copious brewing up for workmen and washing up thereafter, but also the release of lots of dust and, in the case of the roof, muck of ages which will inevitably fimd its way into the house by every available crack amd crevice not to mention doors and windows. This could lead to bugs etc or just more rubbish for your depleted immune system / lungs to deal with. Doc SW prescribes rest, Vit C, summat rich in iron and, as your rewardrfor endurance, a glass of the lovely stuff :cheers:
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Oh Mig, as lovely and trenchant as ever! You do make me laugh which is always very good medicine!

Sticky, you are spot on. I am having to vacuum at least twice a day (well I don't have to but am so things are cleaner) and yes, I don't have enough mugs to keep brewing so washing up is becoming very tedious.

I am also feeling rather guilty. My elderly Mum complained about having work people in to do various things which Pa did because he was a very practical man; she found it a huge strain and I was dismissive. Now I know what she meant. And I am thirty years younger than she was which stings. DD
  • Starburst
    Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
    Options
    Oh poor you, DD. There are lots of nasty bugs doing the rounds. I know what you mean about workmen. There's also an element of not being able to fully relax while work is being done. Do take care.
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Options
    When I went to the Doctor's this week and told my G.P how I had being feeling yuk the last couple of weeks she told me about a couple of nasty bugs doing the rounds but said I hadn't got the symptoms 'changing hot and cold in a flash' but what I was suffering from was acute anaemia which I kinda knew! So yes there is a nasty gastric flu doing the rounds. Hope you feel better soon DD. (())'s
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    I am roofer-free so have been reclining in bed, watching more dull-but-excellent telly (thank you Channel 4 for Everybody Loves Raymond, Pick for that FBI missing persons thing and Cold Case then Beeb 2 for the news, all helped the morning pass). I am now 'watching' NCIS whilst doing a hard jigsaw, talking to you and contemplating if I have enough physical resources to manage a shower. Having had a sniff I rather think I should. :wink:

Bubba, thank you for getting in touch, that's very kind of you. I know I am not anaemic (regular blood tests have their uses) and it's not gastric at all. I know that fibro can play havoc with one's body temp regulation but that side of things has eased which confirms my thinking I am bugged; I'm OK until I do something then I melt, so the simple answer is do nothing, which always appeals to my indolent self! Luckily he's home early tonight so will do the dinner. I'm on the second load of washing but that's not a hardship as such, the machine does the hard bit, I just faff before and after.

I hope everyone is feeling as good as they can be and if not, you have my sympathy. DD
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Things are no better, despite my doing all the things I did which worked before. I should contact my GPs' surgery tomorrow but won't because my key meds are not prescribed by them, so my concerns won't be of any interest in that 'golden' time between 08.00 and 09.59 hours : that time is the sacred preserve of the worried well who probably have the dial-back option on now. Bless.

It's been a while since I was last 'bugged' and I must remember that I am older and, after many years of auto-immune meds, further reduced in my ability to cope with an infection. I think I'm heading for the shallow end of the POSP (pool of self-pity). I need a wallow. DD
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,719
    Options
    P :? It matters not what key meds you take. A bug is a bug is a bug---. Ring in and get down there and, by the sounds of it, get some antibiotics. This has gone on long enough now.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Thank you Sticky, I have done just that. The worried well are obviously doing other things: I rang at 8.20 and had to be there for 8.50. I have 'flu so there's nothing to be done unless I develop a chest infection. I shall continue with the lounging, fluids and pain relief and, thankfully, I am down to one roofer so that's making life easier. DD