The US Presidential Election.

Options
dreamdaisy
dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
edited 11. Nov 2016, 16:51 in Community Chit-chat archive
I watched the lunchtime news on Beeb1 and was left reeling by their leading story, the final 'debate' between the candidates. Debate? What debate? And presidential? Surely there is nothing presidential about either of them, they both lack assurance, authority, dignity and gravitas. He's a misogynistic. tactless, ignorant twerp and she's tainted a nasty shade of sludge thanks to her past and the historic amorous antics of her spouse.

The infantilism on both sides was scary, the whole 'Yah-boo-sucks!' feeling not worthy of the role they are fighting for. As far as I can tell neither deserves to win but I feel he deserves to win less than her. It's now feeling very real that one of these people will be the leader of the USA. Come November these will be interesting times, yes? DD
Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,714
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    She's an unsavoury character but at least she's not a sociopath and does recognise boundaries He's totally unhinged. For him, truth is what he says it is at the time when he says it. The only authority he recognises is himself. He is a very scary person.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Megrose2
    Megrose2 Member Posts: 331
    Options
    I have to agree with your character profiles, Sticky. What a choice for the American people!

I must admit to being totally absorbed by this election, mainly because I can't quite believe some of the utterances - mainly by Donald Trump. I, too, find him scary. Apparently, he asked a foreign policy expert three times, 'But, if we've got nuclear weapons, then why can't we use them?"

I may stay up late on the 8th November!

Meg
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,427
    Options
    I wouldn't vote for anyone whose surname is a word for passing wind.... :wink:

Seriously though it's terrifying that someone like him might end up with access to the 'red button' :shock:

I wonder whether President Obama is having extra locks added to it.
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    I totally agree..what a choice they have..I do think it depend on who has the most money behind them..ie Bush...some of the other candidates had no chance..
    Love
    Barbara
  • mellman01
    mellman01 Member Posts: 5,306
    Options
    When I see the two of them all I can think of is "God help us all!".
  • Airwave!
    Airwave! Member Posts: 2,466
    Options
    If this is the best that America can come up with then they may need to think again!
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    I think it's today that the American people begin to go to the polls. Heaven help us all. Despite her current troubles she must be a better option for leading the USA than Troglodyte Trump. DD
  • stickywicket
    Options
    Some have already voted. Alas, the 'black vote' isn't as enthused by Clinton as by Barack Obama. I'd have thought all women would be voting for Clinton after hearing the Trump view on the fairer sex but voters are fickle and not always aware of the implications of their 'X'. It'll be interesting to see what effect these two have on the votes for minor party candidates.
    Steven Wright
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    Options
    I thought I was asleep and having a nightmare and couldn't wake up and realised I was awake.
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    I remember once reading that war was invented to teach Americans geography.

So, the leader of one of the biggest countries in the world is now led by a megalomaniac who lacks charm (but has an unpleasant charisma), any experience of politics on any level, is cunning, devious and sly, possesses unbounded arrogance and a wife called something like Melanoma. Some First Lady she's gonna be. OK, HC is no angel who also lacks charm and charisma of any kind but she has had experience of politics at the highest level, is used to dealing with big issues, meeting dignitaries from around the world during her time as a beleaguered First Lady but she didn't have that special thing - the common touch. DT has that in spades - he tells people what they want to hear, not what they need to hear.

There may well be trouble ahead but who knows? I doubt he will be a successful president but he will be an interesting one. DD
  • mellman01
    mellman01 Member Posts: 5,306
    Options
    It's what the CIA call blowback, the ruling elite have caused this to happen Trump is their invention, the rich have been getting richer while the working classes have been getting poorer as the infrastructure and essential services fall apart around them yet they/we are always being told we've never had it so good when it's the exact opposite so it was inevitable people would push back at some point and Trump was the catalyst only the experiment got slightly out of hand!, one thing for sure it's not going to be boring for a while lets hope it's not in a bad way.
  • Airwave!
    Options
    To say fair would be illogical but on the other side there are few national leaders outside of the west who are what you might term whiter than white'?

The world is a raw and violent place, politicians want to rule and in doing so place their personality all over a country, the next four years could be tumultuous. America has lit the fire, wait and see where the glames go!
  • daffy2
    daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
    Options
    At least they get a chance to change their minds in 4 years time....
  • stickywicket
    Options
    True, daffy. A point well, and succinctly made.

But, in 4 years time, Obamacare could be a thing of the past. Even now it costs almost $700 per year.
    Steven Wright
  • Airwave!
    Options
    Not democracies finest hour then...........?