Technology.

Options
dreamdaisy
dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
edited 3. Nov 2016, 06:31 in Community Chit-chat archive
A few moons ago I was very proud of my ability to keep up with the new technological developments and felt rather smug when my parents gave up with mastering CDs. CDs? FCOL. :roll:

This evening I am sat in front of his sparkling new telly, watching Eggheads on Beeb2 when I hear the wondrous strains of Humph and Clue coming from the kitchen. 'Aha!' I thought 'It must be Radio4Extra!' but I couldn't locate it on the guide. It turns out it wasn't. It's on You-thingy, which he has accessed thanks to my tablet and wireless speaker in the kitchen. I can access the same if I press buttons. I am not sure which to press so, sensibly as this is his new toy, haven't. Instead I have reduced the volume on the telly to nil so I can hear the his in the kitchen because he has a hearing problem. It's lovely to hear Humph and the gang in full flow, especially as it's 'lip synched' with Eggheads: double the entertainment. :wink:

Have you lost touch with technology? And if so, when? Sympathetically yours, DD.
Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    It's got worse. I went to the kitchen for more water :wink: and discovered that he wasn't listening: he was WATCHING on my tiny tablet. Ye gods times thrice. :shock: DD
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,424
    Options
    I found something on my mobile....on youtube I think and all of a sudden - there it was on the telly!!

HUGE!!!

Wow.... :shock:

My advice? If all else fails - bluff!!

:D
  • daffy2
    daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
    Options
    Yup I've lost touch with technology, and quite some time ago now. My heart sinks at work when visitors hand me their phone to take a picture as I don't have a 'proper' mobile, so need instructions, and get pitying or puzzled looks. Next year we are going to have to deal with the tablets that go with the new displays and initial fiddling with the test version doesn't fill me with confidence - the modern definition of 'intuitive' does not accord with mine...
    My TV is a big old CRT lump - mostly because I can't find anything with a picture quality that makes replacing it worthwhile - and a video box(not plumbed in after the move as I can't record anymore thanks to the digital takeover), no DVD.
    I hate the digibox set-up with the slow channel change and inadequate programme guide.
    My music system needs upgrading but I don't know that I'll be able to do that easily or independently as I have things with jack plugs(want to keep CD player and turntable) and today's gizmos only talk internet bluetooth twaddle as far as I can see with ne'er a genuine socket to be seen.
  • frogmorton
    Options
    Or I ask one of my kids....???

Daffy2 I am soooo with you. It IS possible to keep turntables and CD players etc, but you do need help with it and as you said sometimes stupid odd -looking plugs :?

((()))

Love

Toni xxx
  • daffy2
    daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
    Options
    Toni, asking my son won't be an option in this case, it's not his thing and he's too far away to come over and help sort it out, but I've been told there's a good shop in the city that should be able to help with supplying informed advice and suitable kit. It's a case of getting it together to make the trip - at present health issues are severely restricting my activities(no, not arthritis this time - that I could cope with...)
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,713
    Options
    I kind of gave up on modern technology when my sons were teenagers and every programme I recorded on video (remember video tapes?) was overwritten before I got round to watching it.

I pity young people who feel obliged to keep up with everything. It can come to dominate their lives. I have what I consider I need and learn what I need to know. Why learn stuff I'm never going to use again? I, and my contemporaries, all seem to have different techie skills according to our needs.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Airwave!
    Airwave! Member Posts: 2,466
    Options
    Oh DD, I don't even know what FCOL is! A load of techno speak? I know what it is when you use the telly screen to display whats on yer phone, thats broadcasting ! I think, errrr

Lets go back to being cavemen and having just the club to play with. Now who wants to be a cavegirl and wear all those furs?

:cheers:
  • frogmorton
    Options
    Airwave! wrote:
    Oh DD, I don't even know what FCOL is!
    ?

:cheers:

sounds a bit rude to me Airwave :?

(Daffy I hope you feel better soon ((())) )
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Oh dear, I apologise for using text-speak: FCOL are the initials representing the phrase 'for crying out loud' (the older I get the more I say it).

I have a smartphone and know I don't fully exploit its capabilities, I am content to text, email, WhatsApp and take pics, plus set calendar reminders which, for me, is enough, but the telly? It scares me. We (well, him) can access the interweb and so watch stuff which isn't on Freeview, how wondrous. :roll: DD
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Options
    I give anything technical to my husband!! It's like he's become the technical wizard of everything, he knows how to use apps on our telly and how to send Utube from the computer to the telly!!

He loves everything modern our telly is one of those Ultra high definition tellys it 's 55 inches for god's sake and has 3D on it! It's like a flipping cinema, we have a cinema system unit that you watch DVD's and Blu-ray disc's that he thinks is old and we need a new one the one we got is pretty new and is loud but he wants a louder one! He also brought this box that's called a kody box that he brought so he can watch football on as it shows all football matches on and shows pay perview boxing and anything pay perview for free.
    So he is the techno wizard and he is the one to go to with any questions if you have any I'm sure he would oblige to help you.