Seems a bit steep...

Options
daffy2
daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
edited 4. Dec 2016, 11:15 in Community Chit-chat archive
I've just had a letter to say I need to renew my photocard driving licence. I don't like doing things online and in any case don't have a valid passport so that isn't an option, so didn't have any problem with the idea of paying a small fee to get it done at the Post Office. Not happy though to find that the fee to DVLA is also higher doing it that way - £17 cf £14 online, so the total will be £21-50, ie 50% more in total. I didn't renew my passport when it expired 3 years ago as it seemed a lot for something I didn't realistically see myself using.It rankles but I can afford to pay, but there are still many folks who don't have/never had one, not everyone can get online, and that seems a rather steep penalty for being passportless and/or without online access, especially as they are far more likely to be at the bottom of the pecking order in the first place.

Comments

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,424
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I had to do mine at the post office too - it was a bit pricey wasn't it? My husband has never been called on to update his photo either just me :(

I've always said the poorer you are the poorer you get because of things like this, being unable to own a car therefore having to shop at local (more expensive usually) stores etc etc :(
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,713
    Options
    It seems a lot steep, daffy and, as frog rightly says, the 'game' is tilted towards the rich. The more money one has the easier it is to hang on to it / make more.

The poor cannot avail themselves of the benefits of Direct Debit, or three-for-two offers (Where do they store things?) or much else besides. They pay top whack for everything.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Its awful..why does everything to do with the government have to be so expensive..my oh still has his old license so I suppose he will have to pay out soon...
    Love
    Barbara
  • daffy2
    daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
    Options
    I went ahead with the PO option,( having found out that it would cost £5 to get a photo so that I could DIY, and then cost of signed for postage on top), and it was all quite straightforward. Sent off on the 29th November, I resigned myself to a wait, so imagine my surprise to come back from town this morning and find it waiting for me on the mat. I know the PO would have sent the photo and form electronically but even so I reckon that's pretty good service.
    I have just noticed though that I don't get 10 years worth of use out of it, as my 70th birthday comes before that date....Never mind that's still too far off to fret about - who knows what the situation will be then, I'll quite likely not be driving at the current rate of 'progress'!
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,713
    Options
    It is indeed good service, daffy, and always nice to hear good service praised. I guess the P.O. can't be blamed for your 70th coming when it does so..... :wink:
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright