Dmards didn't work so any tips on Humira please chaps!

Options
Melanie17
Melanie17 Member Posts: 67
edited 1. Nov 2016, 11:20 in Community Chit-chat archive
Ah well,the Methotrexate sent my liver into very unhappy mode (ALT 155 and rising) so that was stopped.And the Sulfasalazine didn't work at all.Noshing all of those tablets,with some brilliant tips from forum members to assist me with my fear of swallowing tablets,all in vain.BUT thanks to you all for your suggestions,because they worked.I can now swallow tablets.I really can.I have overcome my phobia!

I feel very hopeful as I have been prescribed Humira.I am due to start it soonish.I have good information and don't feel it a problem to self inject.Any tips please on anything at all would be gratefully received.I feel kind of lucky in a way,cos I didn't think that my health authority would be able to prescribe it.

Comments

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,425
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Wow Melanie!!

I am so proud of you for facing your phobia and overcoming it!! Well DONE you!!!

My own daughter had the same with needles I might have said then at 16 got leukaemia so she had hypnotherapy. Like you she can face her fears now and at 18 almost volunteers and watches!!!:)

The only tips I would have would be to avoid jabbing in the same place and taking the medication out of the fridge maybe half an hour before use. Not nice if it's COLD!!

I wish you all the best with it Melanie :D

Love

Toni xx
  • theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    Options
    I started on humira in summer 2007, and it has been a very good drug for me, as it made a huge improvement to my quality of life, without, luckily, any side effects. I can't take MTX as it caused nasty respiratory problems, so for a long time I took it ' solo' before being prescribed hydroxychloroquine alongside it.

I never had a problem injecting, taking it out of the fridge about 25 mins before injecting. The new pens are better still - no sting at all. Normally you switch injection sites - left tummy/right tummy/left thigh/right thigh - though not necessarily in that particular order.

I hope it does a good job for you.
  • Melanie17
    Melanie17 Member Posts: 67
    Options
    Toni and theresak-thanks for your replies.Very useful.I am aware that I will likely be told these two things,or read them.But often,when there's a lot to take in,I don't absorb the obvious.But,thanks to your info,I will definitely remember to inject in different places and take the medication out of the fridge before use.
    Thanks again for taking the time to reply,Melanie
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Options
    Has there been a thread giving advice for those who cannot swallow tablets? I need to find it for my Daughter.

I was on Humira Melanie and it was brilliant for 7 years. Sadly I've now had to move on. I hope it works as well for you.

Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein