PIP

Options
kerinj2002
kerinj2002 Member Posts: 6
edited 5. Nov 2016, 10:24 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi, some advice please! I have RA & was in receipt of lower daily living component & higher mobility and had a car.In May I wrote DWP as I now have osteoporosis. In August a lady came to interview me (I felt like I was on trial).Long story short DWP decided to take higher mobility off me, even though my condition has worsened. I have found out that they have taken this ladies word for it. They hadn't contacted my GP or consultant. I am applying for a "reconsideration " I have a letter off my GP and my latest hospital letter confirming of high activity ofor the disease. IS there anything else you would advise to put in the letter? Thanks in advance, Keri

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Keri

Sorry to hear that you were down graded for PIP, I am sure the forum members will be able to give you some advice and helpful hints. You may find it an idea and helpful to ring the Arthritis Care helpline on 08088004050 and have a chat to them in regard to this matter.

ChrisK
    Mod
  • kerinj2002
    Options
    moderator wrote:
    Hi Keri

Sorry to hear that you were down graded for PIP, I am sure the forum members will be able to give you some advice and helpful hints. You may find it an idea and helpful to ring the Arthritis Care helpline on 08088004050 and have a chat to them in regard to this matter.

ChrisK
    Mod
  • trepolpen
    trepolpen Member Posts: 504
    Options
    Hi Keri,
    would recommend recording your interveiw with the doctor as they tend to lie or make things up

you need help to go to the appeal & we have used CB as they know how to build a case & questions you need to know , they should help you on the appeal

get anything to back up as evidence , consultants letters etc & hope it gos well for you , you should keep your DLA until the appeal which may take months
  • kerinj2002
    Options
    trepolpen wrote:
    Hi Keri,
    would recommend recording your interveiw with the doctor as they tend to lie or make things up

you need help to go to the appeal & we have used CB as they know how to build a case & questions you need to know , they should help you on the appeal

get anything to back up as evidence , consultants letters etc & hope it gos well for you , you should keep your DLA until the appeal which may take months
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I posted a few months ago on the Benefits and Work forum (or is it work and benefits?) about this very thing. I receive higher mobility DLA and was wondering whether to let them know that my mobility is now far worse (I have PsA, OA and fibro) my thoughts being that honesty was the best policy The overwhelming view of other forum members was that I would achieve nothing by rocking my particular benefits boat so I didn't and I, on reading your post, I am very pleased about that.

The system is riddled with inequality, the major one being the healthy sitting in judgement on less fortunate folk like ourselves. I advise consulting the CAB and definitely launching an appeal. I wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,713
    Options
    CAB are good. If you want to record the interview, as trepolpen suggested, I believe you have to arrange this in advance.

Good luck with it :D
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Options
    The way I've always filled out the form as if it's my worst day and how I feel and get about. It's always worked for me and I've been on higher rate DLA but I've just applied for P.I.P and waiting for result. I also sent with the form copies of hospital letters and reports of stays in hospital and G.P reports that they get from hospital anything that will prove how poorly I am. But will have to see what decision they make. Hope your appeal is good news.
  • jordansmum
    jordansmum Member Posts: 257
    Options
    Hi Kery ,
    After just going through this process with my son I can really sympathise with you my son was on high care and mobility when it was dla but he was then downgraded to standard care and nothing for mobility on PIP we asked for a mandatory appeal and with the help of a GP letter he was given standard mobility we took it to the appeal court and the whole process was so gruelling it consisted of my son being grilled and questioned by three people for over two hours , not much fun for an eighteen year old we were awarded enhanced for care but still only standard for mobility and his claim has been reduced to two years instead of four so little victory considering it took nearly a year to sort out , so this time next year we will be going through the whole process again.
    The only advise I can give you is to get as many letters and reports as you can but so many of the criteriers have changed and if they feel an aid would help you and you havnt got that aid they will take points away , my son for instants uses a wheelchair regularly but lost points because he doesn't have walk far he can be pushed or self propel it's a complete joke . If you have aids they take points away or give you the lowest points because they help you or if you havnt got these AIDS they take points away because they feel you are not helping yourself it's a catch twenty two. Hope this is of some help to you xx good luck xx