Combination therapy - when is it a side effect

Options
Paleogirl
Paleogirl Member Posts: 75
edited 1. Nov 2016, 08:11 in Living with Arthritis archive
I was put on combination therapy, hydroxychloroquinine and methotrexate with sulfrazalizine to be introduced too.

I had to stop taking the hydroxy because of the side effects. I've been building up on the methotrexate with 10mg and now 15mg last Saturday with the aim of making 20mg in a fortnight. Last week they introduced sulfrasalizine but then stopped it because I got a bad headache, but now they have introduced it again. So far I've taken 3 tablets and I feel rough. Bad indigestion lasting all day, dizziness and nausea and headache. I had also developed a bit of a minor cough but I don't know know whether that's the drugs or just hay fever which I get at this time of year.

How long should you give new treatments, do the side effects go away. I definitely feel worse now I'm on the sulfrazalizine. I felt much better when just on the methotrexate. I've also been put on amiltryptaline which helped before they added the sulfrazalizine. It was compounded by the chemist questioning why I was on the sulfrazalizine and the methotrexate as they were contraindicated!

I'm finding it difficult to work out what is being caused by the illness, what is being caused by the drugs and what is being caused by the worry after reading the horrendous list of side effects associated with both of them.

Comments

• Paleogirl
    Paleogirl Member Posts: 75
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Many thanks Sharon.

Spoke to my rheumy nurse today. They've taken me off the sulfasalazine so no combination therapy for me.

Still on methotrexate and working towards taking 20mg. Will be reviewed in December by the doctor