Christmas Adverts.

Options
dreamdaisy
dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
edited 7. Dec 2016, 13:33 in Community Chit-chat archive
So, it's that time of year when all the big companies spend millions trying to convince us that we won't have a 'proper' Christmas unless we spend a fortune on things no-one really needs and buy fancy food for the parties that (probably) most of us don't have. They irk me and not because I feel envious of the 'lifestyles' being portrayed.

I think the two most annoying adverts in our area at the moment are for House of Fraser and John Lewis. The former is crude, noisy and ugly, the latter mawkish and twee. The Waitrose robins leave me cold, I'm barely aware of the Sainsbriz one (another cartoon I think, last year's was good though with the cat causing disaster) so are these bringing out my inner Scrooge? As you may know I love this time of year with the decorations, lights and sparkle but the rampant consumerism displayed is distasteful and surely not what this time of year is about.

Do the Christmas adverts irk you too? DD
Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben

Comments

• mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Yes they do ,feed the homeless on the money instead.
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options
    The only advert I've seen is the John Lewis one and I quite liked it.
    But I agree entirely with your sentiments.

Christmas is about love or it's about nothing. If the love isn't there you can chuck all the turkeys and X-boxes and chocolates and booze into the void but it'll stay empty. The job of the advertisers is to make us believe otherwise.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Airwave!
    Airwave! Member Posts: 2,466
    Options
    I use my nectar points for xmas day food, we don't overspend but do enjoy each others company during the festive season. I'm making mince pies tomorrow, might have to test one or two....!

I have worked most of my christmas days and do try and get a 'humbug' or two out but my family soon stop me.

Wheres our xmas smilies?

:autumn-sun:
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Not any more DD I did like last years JL one till someone pointed out how the poor man was living on the moon and what do they send him a telescope..but this years leaves me cold apart from the music..I do like that..I haven't seen the waitrose one..might be because they are quite sparse around here.. :? I'm with Mig what a great way to spend the money.. :)
    Love
    Barbara
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options
    Just this morning, in my 'commercial' inbox:

Company No 1 is telling me to 'get my home ship shape for the festive season'.
    (But then my friends and family wouldn't recognise it.)

Company No 2 wants me to buy 'cosy slippers for Christmas.'
    (My feet don't do slippers, cosy or uncosy.)

Company No 3 is offering me '20% off selected items'.
    (But I bet they're not the items I'd want.)

Company No 4 is telling me what others bought after buying what I bought.
    (And your point is?)

Company No 5 is trying to sell me 'Nine excuses to party this Christmas'.
    (I'd prefer nine excuses NOT to party.)

Company No 6 is advising me to 'brace myself for guests galore'.
    (Dear God, NO!)
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    SW I am deleting has I go..never had so many..and from places I have never bought anything... :o
    Love
    Barbara
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Options
    I barely look up from my book/ kindle/ laptop to watch any adverts so cannot remember any of them. I had to google the House of Fraser one as had no idea what it was like.

Best bit of Christmas for me is having a real fire, eating chocolates and playing silly games with my 5 children. I try to save my present opening until evening but usually get hassled to open them sooner.

Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein