MTX + Folic Acid

Options
5hellsbells
5hellsbells Member Posts: 49
edited 6. Dec 2016, 09:11 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi

Looking for some advice..

I have been on 6 MTX tabs per week with today being my 8th dose..

At RA clinic on friday i was told to hand in a prescription for extra folic acid and prochlorperazine tabs cos ive started to feel/be sick..

I picked up my prescription earlier and DR had only prescribed my 4x1 per week folic acid..so spoke to receptionist who got DR to change it for the 28 tabs so i can take them on all days except MTX day..

However..ive just looked at the box..and ive still been prescribed 5mg tabs...looking online it seems to be that i should only be taking 1mg if taking them daily??

Anyone had any experience of this..

Thank you in advance

Comments

• trepolpen
    trepolpen Member Posts: 504
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    hi 5hellsbells ,

sometime in the future you will thank them for the extra folic acid

they deal will most the side effects fom MTX like raised liver blood results (ALT) , mouth ulcers & hair thinning over years on the drug ,

when I started MTX over 18 years ago was given 1 tablet a week but raised to 6 because of very high ALT results & the folic acid brought this back to normal , its now pretty common to give out higher folic acid so dont worry & you will thank them in time
  • 5hellsbells
    Options
    Thank you.. was getting in a bit of a panic there...its all really new to me...a lot to take in..

If it helps the side effects then thats all i need to know..

Ive been sick, so tired, a few ulcers (tho ive always been prone to them) and headaches (the nurse and the dr at clinic doesnt thint thats MTX related)..

Thanks again x
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    5mg is the standard prescribed dose for those on meth and as you are being troubled by side effects you will need the extra to help your body cope. I recall my rheumatologist telling me some years ago not to supplement her script with OTC FA because it was not strong enough. It is easy to believe everything that is on the net but it's better to deal direct with your rheumatology unit and / or your GP because they know your individual situation. I hope the extra helps to improve things for you. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    Options
    5hellsbells

Any worries at all about the dose of any medication, you can always check with your rheumatology team or your pharmacist.

Pharmacists are a very useful resource and often more accessible than GPs.

You are sensible to question anything that you don't understand so please don't worry about asking here :)

Best wishes

Ellen
  • 5hellsbells
    Options
    Thanks everyone...

Feel a bit silly now questioning the dose...if it hadnt been for the initial mix up..i wouldnt have even thought twice..so thanks for the reassurance...

I know what you mean about the net...i only found out about my RA at end of august and went online for some insight...boy was that a BIG mistake..i had a bit of a meltdown on my poor hubby...thank god for his support and my Dr and RA team..

This forum has been helpful tho...so with a bit of trepidation..ive come back along for some advice and yous havent failed.

Thanks again..

Shelly
    X
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,712
    Options
    Don't feel silly for questionning the dose, Shelly. Always question anything you don't understand. I've rung my pharmacist several times in the past usually to check that I've been given the right pills if they've suddenly changed size, shape or colour.

I also had to check, when I was on penicillamine, whenever I was in hospital because there'd always be one round when I was given penicillin instead :roll:

You did the right thing and I do hope it helps.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright