How long does prednisone take to work?

Rach101
Rach101 Member Posts: 165
edited 7. Dec 2016, 03:58 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi all, hope you're doing ok and sorry I've not been around, I've been a bit depressed.

Anyway, I saw a private rheumatologist recently (originally had diagnosis of reactive or post viral arthritis but no treatment offered on NHS) and she got repeats done of ultrasound and blood tests. Blood tests were clear this time but ultrasound showed previous inflammation in my wrist and shoulder but none active.

I have ongoing constant swollen, stiff and painful joints and previously my CRP levels have gone up and down and I've been anaemic so she feels it's indicative of inflammatory arthritis and has given me a course of prednisone to see if it helps. I'm on 20mg for a week, then 15, 10 and 5 then to go back and see her and let her know if any of it helped.

If not, she says whatever is wrong with me can't be inflammatory arthritis. Bit horrified at that as can't imagine what else it could be and it makes it seem like I'll be stuck like this forever!

Anyway, I'm on my 4th day of prednisone and although I feel surprisingly well and energetic the swelling is unchanged and my fingers feel more stiff and sore than ever. How long does it take to kick in?

Thanks
Rach xx

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    The fact that you are feeling energetic and well is proof the pred has begun to 'work'. Your fingers may be feeling more stiff and sore because you are doing more because you feel better, is that possible? Pred thins every body tissue, it doesn't distinguish between those that need thinning and those that don't. I was always cautious when on pred not to overdo things because it aggravated the pain in my joints but learning that came from experience - I remember walking half-a-mile with friends back to their house, happily keeping up with them with my crutches tucked under my arm because I felt so good (this was way back when it was only my knees that were affected). The next 48 hours were dreadful as a result, my knees reacted to that punishment in fine style. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Rach101
    Rach101 Member Posts: 165
    Hi DD
    Yes that does make perfect sense! I did have a busy day yesterday and did more than I usually would.
    I think that I've been fixating on the swelling as I've never understood how I can have visible swelling if I do not have high CRP levels or evidence of inflammation in ultrasound. I keep trying my wedding ring on to see if my fingers are less swollen and fixating on that! I really want the prednisone to make the swelling go away so that's what I was thinking of when thinking about when it would 'work' but of course this condition is affecting me in more ways than just swelling so I need to think about myself as a whole!
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    I know from blood tests in the past that it is possible to have a high CRP etc. and no swelling or low figures and a great deal of puffiness; our bodies are weird and wonderful things but mostly weird. There's no rhyme no reason with this auto-immune arthritis malarkey. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben