First doctor appointment

Audrey49
Audrey49 Member Posts: 7
edited 9. Dec 2016, 03:33 in Living with Arthritis archive
I'm seeing my doctor tomorrow afternoon. This is my first appointment since my X-ray result came back showing osteoarthritis in my hip.
Can anyone tell me what questions I should be asking him?
Thank you very much in advance.
Take care
Audrey

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Dear Audrey49, welcome to Arthritis Care Forums.

As mods we are here to help with any problems you may have using the forums.

In regards to Osteoarthritis, here is our factsheet https://www.arthritiscare.org.uk/what-is-arthritis/types-of-arthritis/62-o-osteoarthritis.

I hope this helps but, if you need more specific information, you can always contact our Helpline at: https://www.arthritiscare.org.uk/help-and-support/helpline

In addition to the above, there are many lovely people who use the forums with a wide range of experiences. Have a good look through the different forums and pick the ones you feel are best for the information you seek.

Best wishes,

ModEm
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Mainly, I'd say don't get too anxious about the appointment. if possible take someone with you as an extra pair of ears. Don't expect too much. You might be offered physio and / or anti-inflammatories but there's not a lot docs can do about OA. It's mostly a matter of looking after ourselves - exercise, sensible diet, no smoking etc. All the usual things.

I hope it goes well. Please let us know and feel free to ask any questions.

Oh, and welcome to the forum :autumn-sun:
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    It's been so long since my first appointment concerning my OA that I cannot remember what happened! As I already had another form of arthritis I was already taking pain relief, occasional anti-inflammatories and doing my exercises so there wasn't much she could contribute.

The questions we naturally want to ask are unanswerable: how will things progress, will it spread, what does the future hold? etc. I concur with Sticky, I hope you are able to take someone with you to be another pair of ears because it is very easy for us to miss what is being said as we try to take everything in. I hope that they will have access to your Xrays, one of the positives about OA is that it is straightforward to diagnose because the evidence is plain to see. I wish you well and please let us know how you get on. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • GraceB
    GraceB Member Posts: 1,595
    Hi, welcome to the Forum.

I have OA (osteoarthritis) both knees - one replaced; the other shortly to be done. It's also in my lumbar and cervical spine and left ankle. I was diagnosed with OA when I was 39 - I'm now 51 (and a half!).

I agree with the others. If you can, take someone else with you. Also take a list of written questions, pen and paper. At the very least, whoever goes with you can make sure you ask all your questions and write the answers down.

Hope the appointment goes okay and you get all the information you need.

GraceB
    Turn a negative into a positive!
  • dreamdaisy
    Hello, how are you and how did it go? DD
  • Audrey49
    Hello to you all and thank you for your replies. Here's how my appointment went. The doctor said I had early stage wear and tear in both my hips. He didn't say osteoarthritis but I asked if that's what it was he said yes. He has prescribed Naproxen, Co-Codamol and Omeprazole. Because of the pain I get especially when walking, I asked about physiotherapy and should I use a walking aid. His answer to both questions were "no you don't need that, you have early stage wear and tear". He said come back in a month to see how the medication was working . I felt as if all he was interested in was giving me the medication and getting me out of the door. My husband was with me and he was surprised by his off handed manner. Maybe I'm overreacting but I've been a bit upset since my appointment. I was hoping for a bit more support and advice.
    Take care.
    Audrey
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    You are by no means the first person to report a first appointment as being unsatisfactory for similar reasons. I get the impression that some docs are offhand about OA because there's not a great deal they can do for it. Actually, yours has given you all the right meds - naproxen to deal with the inflammation, omeprazole to ensure the naproxen doesn't harm your stomach and co-codamol for breakthrough pain.

I'd hazard a guess - and it's purely guesswork. I'm not a medic of any kind - that he's calling it wear and tear (as many do), refusing physio and advising against walking aids because he feels you're better, at this point in time, just carrying on as normal rather than, maybe, pathologising it all. I could very easily be wrong.

If you read the first link that ModEm gave you you can see how you can help yourself. Exercise and diet really have been shown to help. I hope you'll find that too. And remember we're here too. And that you can always call our lovely Helpline people for a chat about it all.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Audrey49
    Thank you. You're right about the medications he gave me and I'm grateful for them. I had hoped for a referral to a physiotherapist to help me with exercises and advice about aids that could help. I'm concerned about doing exercises on my own and maybe doing them the wrong way. I will ask again in the future, I really miss the long walks I had with my dogs. I'm not all gloom and doom though. I have so much that I'm grateful for and so many people here are far worse off than me and are happy to help others.
    Take care
  • dreamdaisy
    The trouble with OA is that is very common; there are between eight to ten million arthritics in the UK and the majority have OA - you are not the first to find that your GP seems rather casual about it. He has done all the right things, and it may well be that you are still in the very early stages (I am sure it doesn't feel that way to you!) so his advice seems sound.

You can still enjoy walks with your dogs, would two shorter ones in one day make up for one long one? You may find a couple of walking poles useful, they are sprung to help to absorb some impact, they can help on slopes both ascending and descending and I am sure you already wear good, supportive footwear. DD