My Tree is Done.

Options
dreamdaisy
dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
edited 11. Dec 2016, 11:16 in Community Chit-chat archive
It's taken a few days but I think I'm there: numerous Santas (of course) plus some other bits and pieces which are quirky and make me smile: there is a small bear, two elephants (one big, one small, the big one is made from glass and wearing a top hat), three glass frogs complete with coronets and pearl necklaces and the most amazing expressions, one gold glass airship complete with gondola and some interesting reindeer (interesting in that they are over-dressed in sparkly clothes, wearing makeup, high-heeled shoes and carrying handbags).

I have been collecting Santas for a very long time and they are doing all kinds of things: Mr DD's favourite is the one riding the Apollo spaceship, but they are also driving cars, trains, a tractor, riding bicycles (with one on a unicycle and another riding a pizza-delivery-style scooter), sitting on half-moons and stars, sleighs, parachuting, hot-air ballooning, playing musical instruments, fishing, dancing, skiing, skating and shopping. They are made from all kinds of materials: glass, resin, one is a gourd, others are porcelain and pottery, one is made from banana leaves, some are paper and one or two are cloth. I love unwrapping them come early December, it's like meeting old friends! Mr DD is not a great fan of this time of year but he does like my tree: when we moved to No.10 on 13.12.13 doing the tree was the last thing on my mind. It was one of the first on his. Bah humbug indeed! :wink: DD
Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,710
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    And I bet it looks wonderful. And original.

Mine's still in the loft :oops:
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Options
    Your tree sounds lovely DD.

I always insist on buying a real tree, rather than a non messy artificial one, which would make life so much easier, but I suppose old habits die hard. I remember one year when It was time to remove all the decorations, and to start cutting it down, my Daughter was so upset she left little handwritten notes on it calling us tree slayers and murderers, she's not so bothered now and doesn't even like to help decorate, which puzzles me because I really loved that part.

I won't put mine up until the 14th December as I find it all too stressful! But like you I also love unwrapping the decorations and finding old favourites.

Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    Options
    We have a smaller tree now and my daughter puts it up and I take it down.simples. Mig
  • Sharon2960
    Sharon2960 Member Posts: 329
    Options
    Ours isn't done yet - this weekend hopefully! You can't imagine my glee that you're a Santa collector - cos I am too & I've never come across anyone else who collects them! For me, it's all about his face - it has to be 'right'! And no-one else is allowed to buy them for me - I buy myself a new one each year. This years purchase, he's climbing into a chimney!
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Ours is an artificial tree because I am intolerant to real trees, my current one is unlit but I am considering selling it and buying a pre-lit in the sales to make life a little easier come December 2017 (although I will still add lights of course!). Taking it apart is a doddle, four or five days to do, two hours to undo!

So Sharon, you are another Santa fan, it's lovely to meet you. :) I haven't bought any this month because there's nothing out there for me (fusspot that I am) but the three I bought last March in Norfolk more than make up for that! DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,414
    Options
    Oooh!! Fun fun fun - can any of us post photos?

I have bought a super tree this year one of the posh pre-lit ones and I cannot wait to put it up :)

Have to wait until after the youngest's birthday (yesterday) so maybe this weekend??

DD you have found another Santa collector in Sharon :)

I sooooo want to get mine up first time in our new house - luckily for me we moved in the summer so I can cope!

Love

Toni xxx
  • Sharon2960
    Sharon2960 Member Posts: 329
    Options
    So today was supposed to be day at home, creating a Xmas wonderland; instead I've been in bed all day after spending a lot of the night in the bathroom (further details not required lol)!

As I can't work tomorrow - need to have 48 hours clear - I'm hoping I'll feel up to doing it then!

We were in Norfolk last weekend, DD, at Wells; didn't realise it was the Wells Christmas Tide Festival - what a lovely atmosphere!