Looks like I'm in for a long wait

Options
GraceB
GraceB Member Posts: 1,595
edited 9. Dec 2016, 05:15 in Living with Arthritis archive
I saw my GP 5th Sept and was referred for a left total knee replacement. Had my clinic appointment early October and was put on the surgical list for this op by my consultant. As I'd not had a surgery date come through, I rang the hospital this week to get an update.

I was astounded to be told my op won't be until late February and possibly early March! I realise the NHS is under a huge strain which I do understand, and I never expected my surgery before the 18 week "referral to pathway" time was up, but, at this rate it'll be 6 months between referral to surgery. I wasn't expecting to have to wait quite that long. Needless to say the pain is increasing daily, and both my knees are very inflamed so my "already replaced" right knee is now protesting as well.

Oh well, I'll keep waiting as eventually my name will be at the top of the list. I've long since learnt to be patient.

GraceB
Turn a negative into a positive!

Comments

• lindamay
    lindamay Member Posts: 118
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    GraceB wrote:
    I saw my GP 5th Sept and was referred for a left total knee replacement. Had my clinic appointment early October and was put on the surgical list for this op by my consultant. As I'd not had a surgery date come through, I rang the hospital this week to get an update.

I was astounded to be told my op won't be until late February and possibly early March! I realise the NHS is under a huge strain which I do understand, and I never expected my surgery before the 18 week "referral to pathway" time was up, but, at this rate it'll be 6 months between referral to surgery. I wasn't expecting to have to wait quite that long. Needless to say the pain is increasing daily, and both my knees are very inflamed so my "already replaced" right knee is now protesting as well.

Oh well, I'll keep waiting as eventually my name will be at the top of the list. I've long since learnt to be patient.

GraceB
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,710
    Options
    Not what you wanted to hear, Grace. I guess it's not only our penniless NHS but also the time of year. They may have to factor in extra broken bones resulting in non-elective surgery from slippery leaves to icy pavements seasons.

I wonder if you're able to take a cancellation? I had one of my hips replaced just before Christmas simply because some people don't want to be in hospital for Christmas. I also slid up the list on the day for my knee revision as someone else had got a chest infection - unfortunate for her but useful for me.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Oh bother, bother, bother but I think this is indicative of the time of year. Winter always seems to take the NHS by surprise (although it's an annual event) but then factor in the increase in patient numbers and no wonder things are being delayed.

Opting for a cancellation is a plan but, if this applied to me, I would to take into account the 'skeleton' service which will be in operation ( :oops: ) over the very long Christmas break which would sway me towards the 'planned' date. Yes, the weather may still be bad but the Christmas nonsense will be over. Not easy times, eh? I am sorry. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • GraceB
    GraceB Member Posts: 1,595
    Options
    Thanks for your replies. The hospital did say they'd put me on the cancellation list, but now I'm living on my own I can't get things organised at very short notice. I know for a fact the op won't be before I've been to joint school which is 11th Jan. I'll ask then if there's an indication on the system when my op will be.

I delayed seeing my GP for the referral as there was no way I could be sat indoors on my own, post-op, in the run up to Christmas this year. My friends have said they'll do what they can, but I know I'll need some sort of formal care coming in and that'll have to be put into place which will take time in itself.

It'll happen. In the meantime I'll plod on, as those of us in Arthritis-World tend to do.

GraceB
    Turn a negative into a positive!
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    Options
    Big hugs.
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Options
    Grace as you know my operation has been cancelled a couple of times already! But I agree with sticky and ask if you could be considered for a cancellation? Yes it can be at short notice you are given 48hrs notice as I've learned by being offered one and then a couple of hours later being told 'no there's no beds'.
    That's the problem at the moment, no beds hence why you've been told February/March. Also a lot of the surgeons are have Christmas off. But the 'stand by' list is your best bet at getting in sooner. Worth a think about! :?