I guess this would work for arthritis too

stickywicket
stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
edited 10. Dec 2016, 15:55 in Living with Arthritis archive
According to a large study, in the American Journal of Epidemiology, "Optimistic women 'cut risk of deadly diseases'" (Tough luck, guys :lol: )

"In a study of more than 70,000 women, optimists were less likely to get fatal cancer, heart disease, lung conditions and stroke in their retirement years."
Which, I guess, begs the question "What did they eventually die of, then?" but, still, let's not quibble.

Anyway, it seems optimism can be learned so, if you're a 'glass half empty' person, a couple of tips are:

1. Write down three things each day that you are grateful for. Try it for a week and see how you feel.

2. Keep a log for a fortnight of any kind things you do for other people.

As my old Mum would have said - if it does you no good it'll do you no harm. Why not suck it and see?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-38212615
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
Steven Wright

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    I think there is some truth in this, no matter the illness it's how one faces up to it which can make or break. The mind is a powerful thing, the well-documented placebo-effect proves that fact. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Yes....I agree. Its the way you face things. You can be really miserable about things or you can be a bit more optimistic.

We'll all be miserable some time or other or wallow in self pity which isn't a bad thing BUT not for very long.
    Don't let it become a way of life.

Who cares whether its a placebo or not :lol:

Love
    Hileena