Restart mtx on Thursday

Options
joon51
joon51 Member Posts: 221
edited 10. Dec 2016, 06:19 in Living with Arthritis archive
I am due to restart mtx on Thursday I'm starting on 20mg injections I was on this drug a couple of years ago but came off due to nausea and high LFTS i am no doctor but doesn't 20mg seem quite high especially with my history or am I over reacting

Thanks joon x

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,714
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I honestly don't know. I guess only your rheumatologist can tell you that. It all depends on how active and aggressive your arthritis is I suppose. I can see that 20 mgs must sound daunting when you've had problems with it in the past but injected meth is usually less problematic than tablet meth and, as for the liver tests, it seems quite usual for people to resume a DMARD that causes liver problems and get away with it second time around. How many folic acid tablets are you taking weekly? What reasons did your doc give for the dose? Make sure you keep on top of the blood tests and do let us know how you get on.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • trepolpen
    trepolpen Member Posts: 504
    Options
    hi , with the injections you should not have so much problems with feeling nausea , & how much folic acid they giving you , I had problems with raised liver results & after they change my folic acid from one 5mg tablet a week to six 5mg tablets a week my results returned to normal
  • joon51
    joon51 Member Posts: 221
    Options
    Thank you for your replies I am going to have folic acid 6 times a week I haven't started them yet I suppose I will be getting them on Thursday when I pick up the injections and go and see the rheumy nurse about how to use them although I already know the only difference this time is that they are in pen form now.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I'm on 15mg a week, I think the highest dose I've read about on here for arthritis was 30mg but I cannot recall if that was tablets or the injections. I 'm sure I've heard that the tablets tend to be stronger because they face the rigours of digestion but I could be very wrong on that so don't quote me!

I did my injection this morning, it is very easy to do and takes no time at all. I use my upper thighs and alternate them from week-to-week. I sit on the bed with my legs up, this relaxes the muscles and makes the process more gentle on the body - taut muscles are not happy ones when needles are involved. If you are not injecting anything you might prefer to do them in your tummy (but not close to the navel), there are fewer nerve endings in the stomach area which is why some prefer it (again alternate the side). Good luck, I hope it helps, I have been doing them for years and the only occasional side effect I have is a day of extreme tiredness. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben