Hello - hands anyone?

Telly
Telly Member Posts: 2
edited 17. Dec 2016, 14:16 in Say Hello Archive
Hi all
I have been diagnosed with osteoarthritis in my right hand some years ago. Was told by the GP that there was nothing that could be done. My left hand is now showing the same symptoms but a lot more pain so I am looking at options and information before I steel myself to go back to the GP and probably start to stamp my feet.

Regards :autumn-sun:

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Telly,

Welcome to the forum, it's always a good idea to get as much information as you can to help yourself manage your condition. I've found a booklet which may help, this is the link

https://arthritiscare.org.uk/assets/000/001/245/OAhandfactsheet2015_original.pdf?1447423309

Quite a few members have problems with hands - I'm sure they will be able to help with problems related to arthritis of the hand and help for any particular issues.

Take care
    Yvonne xx
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Hello Telly and welcome from me too :autumn-sun:

I'm sorry your OA has spread to the other hand which does make life more difficult. My RA started in my hands many years ago so I can empathise.

I'm afraid stamping your feet won't really help :wink: The docs can prescribe anti-inflammatory meds and so-called painkillers but, that apart, the rest is up to us. The leaflet that Yvonne referenced for you should be useful. Exercises and the old hot / cold treatment can help. Your GP might refer you for wrist or finger splints which can help when resting but not much use when we're actually doing anything. Also too much resting and not enough exercising just makes things worse as the muscles get slack and unsupportive so causing more pain.

There are, however, all sorts of gadgets on the market now to make our lives easier. Disability shops (including online ones) are full of them. I bought another thick biro yesterday (easier to handle). I have electric can and jar openers. I ensure my kettle and iron are lightweight etc etc.

I hope you'll find the forum helpful. If you have any questions just ask away, preferably on Living With Arthritis as more people look on there.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Hello, it's nice to meet you but I am sorry you have had to find us. I count myself lucky in that my hands are not too badly affected but when they throw a hissy fit I know about it, as do you. It's not fun, is it?

Over my arthritic years I have invested in the Good Grips range of kitchen utensils, changed my oven and hob, bought lighter-weight saucepans, a cordless vacuum and I now have a steam-generator iron (why did that take me so long to buy?) I know from reading on here that some have found relief with soaking their hands in warm water with an added dose of Epsom salts, might that help?

I wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Hello Telly and welcome to the forum..
    I have OA in my thumbs and have been offered an op on them, but for the minute the splints I have have are helping..must say for quite a while I had injections and they did help..
    Love
    Barbara