Falls.

dreamdaisy
dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
edited 15. Dec 2016, 03:14 in Living with Arthritis archive
Over my arthritic years I've had a number of these, the most recent of which was last Wednesday at a local garden centre (thanks to wet leaves on concrete, an underlying patch of moss and a crutch that couldn't cope). The majority of mine have been at home (which is where I tend to reduce my vigilance because the surroundings are familiar) but this was a public episode and, sadly, members of the public were about. I say 'sadly' because the usual happened: people rushed to my side and insisted I return to the vertical far too quickly for my comfort.

When I topple I prefer to lie there for a while, assessing how things are, what I can or cannot move with ease and then (with help if available) getting up. I sort myself out when indoors (after my required rest period) because I am usually 'home alone' so have to but truly dislike the rushing that others demand when I am out and about. Does this match your experience of falling when not at home? DD
Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben

Comments

• tupney
    tupney Member Posts: 28
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    I have recently found that I have OA in my left knee, so have been leaning more on my right leg. Coming down my stairs two days ago, on the 2nd step from the bottom my right knee gave way, and I fell the last two steps.
    Now I have to take my VERY STRONG pain killers more often to try and stop the pain of my left knee and my right knee and right leg because when I fell I banged and jarred my right leg on the wall.
    Thank goodness I was at home alone, so that I could lay on the floor to gather myself to try and get up. I don't know how I would have felt if it had happened outside in front of people.
    I think people want to help, but they don't know what to do. Keep going! :autumn-sun:
  • scattered
    scattered Member Posts: 326
    Ouch, DD. I hope you're recovering and that the unexpected rush back to upright did not further damage.

As you know, I spend quite a lot of time acquainted with the ground. If I fall and I'm on my own (most recently going up the stairs early in the morning at work while everyone else was still in their pyjamas), I lie/sit/kneel/sprawl in whatever position I have landed in to take stock and assess the situation, usually whilst swearing bitterly. Then I try and work out how I am going to get back up and see which bits are swelling the quickest.

Should I have the misfortune to fall in front of other people, I developed a very ridiculous bounce-back method. Namely, hit floor, be slightly stunned on impact and use the residual adrenaline to get up as soon as possible to avoid students/colleagues/concerned members of the public coming to my aid. I will then find a suitable place to retire to before collapsing in a heap and requesting an ice pack. This reassures them that I'm 'fine' and usually means that any injuries I have remain much less embarrassing.

I dislike being fussed over and normally find that other people want me to sit down and do whatever they deem I should be doing, rather than allowing me to work out the next step. I'm a control demon: bad enough my body is already out of my control and falling over, I want it back and that means I'm not going to do whatever the helpful bystander wants me to do. I am usually polite about it though!
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    The title puzzled me at first. It seemed to imply that we spend so much of our lives on the ground that we have actually perfected techniques to deal with such occasions. Then I realised I had :roll:

In the living room I usually manage to twist mid-flight and launch myself into an armchair. I'm quite proud of this. Maybe, in a different life, I'd have been an Olympic gymnast or diver.

On paving stones or laminate, however, I'm with you, DD. I first check out all the replacement joints, especially the one I landed on. Next I muse whether or not my head is still attached as I usually bounce it off the floor. I'd dislike being hauled upright before these preliminary checks are completed but I normally find people looking at me aghast rather than restoring me to the vertical – unless it's just Mr SW who will ask, bemusedly, “What are you doing down there?” as if it's just another of my little foibles like doing the laundry, putting the loo seat down or insisting glasses are washed up before plates and pans.

DD – I'm so sorry you came a cropper last week and hope that, by now, you are merely lit up in multicolour for Christmas.

Tupney – I've always disliked the combination of strong pain relief and unreliable joints. I feel it better to keep the head clear at least. As for descending stairs – backwards is a much safer option. That way one only falls forwards onto the steps above rather than skidding down an entire flight. ("The trouble with you" a close friend remarked once, waiting to go up a flight of stairs that I was descending, "is that I never know whether you're coming or going.")

Scattered – how lovely to see you! You are absolutely right – swearing is the all-important first step towards recovery. And remaining in control of what's left of my control is a priority.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    As with all of you when I'm at home and fall I like to lie their a moment and go over all my body parts to make sure everything is not badly injured. And in March when I had my serious fall (which included being knocked out!) it was then I realized there was blood everywhere including my eye and mouth which shocked me into knowing things where far from all right. I literally had to drag myself by my arms to settee.
    But going back to post I'm usually with family and friends when I'm out on a social trip (non-hospital/doctors trip). And if for some reason I have a fall they will automatically call an ambulance, my sister did so when I had an epileptic seizure while going to lunch. She is a carer at a care home and knew what to do when it happened she lay me on my side and checked my air way, to be honest she was amazing and the paramedic's told her so when they arrived. I know I'm in safe hands when I go out with her.
  • Kerrsa
    Kerrsa Member Posts: 233
    As someone who doesn't really fall much as I have very good balance and prefer to stay on my feet, had a pretty comical fall on the weekend so for some lighthearted entertainment .........

I went down to the spare room (or the cats room as it is know in our house) to get my bag for my trip to SA. There is way too much junk dumped in there as well. As I was walking out of the room, one of my feet caught on something and I toppled over backwards and landed with my bottom in a box. After making sure nothing was hurt I just burst out laughing and waited for the knight in shining armour to help me up. Can't even blame arthritis for this one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • dreamdaisy
    Thank you for your replies, each and every one, I appreciate your taking the time to answer.

I understand that falls are always a possibility, I do my best to avoid them but they happen despite our best intentions, yes? I hope we all avoid them over the festive season and beyond. DD
  • GraceB
    GraceB Member Posts: 1,595
    Whenever I've fallen there's always been spectators! :oops:

My most spectacular one was years ago, before I had OA. It was a snowy day so rather than risk the car I rode my bike to work (yes - I know, but I treasured my little Fiesta). Went round a corner and without thinking hit the brake. Oh dear. :roll: My bike went one way - I skidded the other way on my backside across the road. Elegant it was NOT. I came to a halt (having vaguely heard in the background an engine) and there was a bus. A whacking great double decker bus - full to the brim with people. Yup! I was sat on my backside in the road with all these people gawping at me. :shock: The bus driver was very gallant - helped me up, retrieved my bike (it was a sturdy bike so no damage) and I staggered away as quickly as I could. Thankfully although I had some bruises I didn't do any more damage to myself. I learnt a salutary lesson that day - no using the bike in icy weather.

Sadly my days of cycling are long since over. (Mind you, perhaps that's a good thing?). If there's snow or ice about I only venture out if I absolutely have to these days. Having one knee replacement I can't take the risk of falling and knowing my luck there'd be another blinking bus full of flaming spectators!

I'm pleased to know that none of you suffered any serious damage from your falls. Not a good thing to have too much practice of in my view.

GraceB
    Turn a negative into a positive!
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    My goodness we are all good at throwing ourselves on the ground aren't we? x:shock:

Not sure whose example was worst!

Grace's bum-slide in front of a bus load of people maybe?

It's a good job we all have a sense of humour though isn't it?

DD I totally get where you are coming from. Time to get your breath, check yourself out then attempt to get up. x:roll:

Still it's good that there are kind people around.

I hope you feel ok now

Love

Toni xxx
  • Starburst
    Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
    Oh dear, poor DD and everyone else too. I know people want to help but mostly, it makes it worse. It's not really help if they're hoiking you up in a way that you know is going to make things worse.

Can I share my story? It was quite a while ago. I had been on a healthy eating kick for a while and one lunchtime, I was craving something unhealthy so I went to Gregg's for a sausage roll. As I walked back to the office, eating as I went along, I tripped and went splat onto the pavement, dropping my precious sausage roll in the process. Two kind bystanders helped me up because I was crying. I wasn't crying because I was hurt. I was crying because I had dropped my sausage roll! They helped me over to a bench and I sat there for a while. I finally was ok to carry on. As I sadly glanced back, I saw two pigeons fighting over my delicious snack. I'm still not over it. :roll:
  • dreamdaisy
    We are a tumbledown lot, aren't we? I badly grazed my left elbow and that night burned my left forearm on the oven; neither injury is healing so I have missed the humira and meth this week and may invest in some of those plasters which have silver in them. Both wounds are very sore (it's amazing how often you hit sore bits) and the surrounding skin hot to the touch. Flaming Norah. x:roll: DD