HELPFUL GADGETS

hileena111
hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
edited 22. Dec 2016, 06:15 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi,
My daughter bought me a "car handle" She was going to give it to me for Christmas as a stocking filler then she thought when bone was rubbing on bone it would be more helpful now instead of Christmas. I hadn't even got a date for my TKR
I thought I would mention it because its so helpful.

Google ......Car Handle
Where the car door closes {either passenger or driver side} I've been passenger for a long time now and it will be another 3 weeks before I can attempt to drive.....slip it into the U shaped welded bracket that the car door latches on to lean on it and then lift yourself into or out of the car. I find it great but you would need to google it. I cant explain it
You then take it out, store it in the side pocket {or wherever} of the car. Fit any car
If anyone knows what I'm talking about or finds it online let me know.
Its my usual garble....not explained very well
Or if any clever person can put a picture of it on this thread {I cant} please do so

Love
Hileena

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,689
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    A thoughtful daughter, Hileena. Doubly so for giving it now when you need it most.

I googled it and many might find it useful.

For those, like me, who don't have arms that are up to the job, I just ensure my driver leaves me enough room to stand in the gutter. (I know my place x:wink: ). There is usually between 1" and 3" - sometimes more - difference in height between gutters and pavements. Placing the feet on the lowest point requires less effort for knees.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    I know exactly what you are describing, I think one of the brand names is The Car Cane. I have been meaning to buy one for myself for some time but keep forgetting . . . . I am so pleased you are finding it helpful and what a kind thought by your daughter. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • hileena111
    Hi
    Thanks for the replies.
    Yes it was good that she thought about it early. She told me why she thought about it early :lol:
    When she was living at home and wanted a coat as part of a Christmas Present {she might have been about 14 at the time} I got her a coat.....I knew the one she wanted, she dropped enough hints :roll:
    I gave it to her then and said remember this is part of your Christmas present. It was a cold winter and she really appreciated it early so that's what reminded her. She appreciated the coat early so thought I would appreciate this early

Love
    Hileena
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,285
    A friend recently told me about the Car Cane. I intend to get one.

I think it will also help Lucy as she has only the one arm to get 'up' with.

Thanks for reminding me Hileena :)

Love

Toni xx
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    I have one recommended by OT got mine on a certain online store named after a very long river.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • hileena111
    Hi
    Glad its helping some people and reminding others that knew about it but just haven't got round to getting it.

I like tips like that that I can use or adapt to my aches and pains and use.

Love
    Hileena
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    Great gadget for making it easier to hold a mobile phone if you have a weak grip

Universal Finger Phone Grip Holder with Smart Secure Strap Sling and Strong Adhesive

Sorry for the long item name but I thought it would help anyone interested find it online.

Very simple (and inexpensive ) gadget, an elastic loop attached to a firm adhesive base that you stick on the back of your mobile. To hold it you simply slip your fingers through. On the usual river named site
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,689
    I like the look of that, Slosh. I can't hold Mr SW's smartphone for more than a minute or two so mine is a very ancient but small and easily gripped one.

However, he too might find that useful as he's forever accidentally pressing controls when holding it. It might keep his fingers out of the way x:roll:
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright