pain after TKR

bgould
bgould Member Posts: 10
edited 21. Dec 2016, 18:32 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hello, I had TKR on 5th. Dec. 2016,I have had O/A in my left knee for about 14 years, gradually getting worse. The pain was on the inside of the knee. Two weeks after TKR,I am still getting pain in the same area, only worse than pre-op. Is this normal, and should it get less painful. The thought that I have gone through this procedure, and am in more pain than before, is very depressing. I realise it is still early days, but if the bone has been shaved, as I have been told, I can`t understand why it is so painful. Has anyone out there had a similar experience.

Comments

• Trayguy
    Trayguy Member Posts: 38
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi

I had my TKR on the 21/10 so just about 8 weeks ago.

I have been surprised by the pain I have still got. It is mostly at the back of my knee and on the left of my kneecap. I asked the physio about it and he said it is caused by all the swelling. I just thought it would have eased by now.

I will carry on with the excercises and using the ice packs and keep my fingers crossed that it was the right decision.

Tracey
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    Hello

Welcome to the forum, I am sure you will find support, advice, light relief and friendship here. There are several others on here who have had TKR who will be able to answer your query.

I am one of the moderation team, we all have one or more 'arthritis hanger ons' or look after family with the same.

Best wishes
    ChrisK
  • Helenbothknees
    Helenbothknees Member Posts: 487
    I had a bilateral TKR (ie both knees) about four and a half years ago. I was in a lot of pain for several weeks, and taking lots of painkillers. I was told it was normal after an operation like this. The pain gradually lessened, but we're talking months not weeks. I still get occasional twinges in my knees, but nothing like what I had before the operation - I can walk for a few miles if I want to, and I could barely walk to the car then. Do your exercises, use ice and take painkillers if you need to, and it should get better - but it does take a long time for such a lot of healing to take place. But people do vary a lot as to how long it takes, and whether the pain goes completely or a bit remains.
  • GraceB
    GraceB Member Posts: 1,595
    Hi,
    I had a right partial TKR in 2009 (now waiting for a left TKR) and for a good number of months afterwards I had a lot of post op pain. I was told that although externally the scar heals within 2-3 weeks, inside there was a lot going on and this would be the case for a good while.

I was advised for the first month to take my pain meds 4 times a day whether I thought I needed them or not. I followed that advice to the letter. Someone else I knew at the time and who had a TKR the day before me, felt his pain was ok so stopped his meds! Within 24 hours his pain was out of control. It took 3 days for him to get this back under control. Until he was 5 weeks post-op he took his pain meds 4 times day after that.

You are still well within the first month and this is major surgery. Its vital you follow instructions re resting the knee, elevating it, icing it and doing your exercises. Make sure you do your exercises about half an hour after you've had your pain meds as, if you keep the pain under control, you'll be able to do the exercises properly. If you are still worried, see your GP or ring your consultant's secretary. You should be seeing your consultant for a post-op review and s/he will check your knee thoroughly then. If you still have concerns/questions write them down and take a list with you so you make sure you get them all asked, as it's very easy to forget when you are in the consultation.

Hope this helps. Please make sure you let us know how you are doing in a few days.

Take care,
    Grace.
    Turn a negative into a positive!
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    A TKR is a full knee replacement. The bone is not 'shaved', it is cut out on both top and bottom of the knee. A couple of weeks or so is no time at all in terms of healing. I fully agree with thejothers. Just rest, ice and exercise. It will hurt for some time yet but, if you treat it well, you will not regret it.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • bgould
    bgould Member Posts: 10
    Thank you to all who replied to my post. Having read your replies, I do feel a little better mentally, if not physically. I am elevating and icing a couple of times every day. Will keep you up to date with my progress - to aid other sufferers. Thank you again. Barry.
  • Helenbothknees
    Helenbothknees Member Posts: 487
    Glad to help, Barry. When I found this site, after my TKRs back in July 2012, there were about half a dozen of us who'd just had the same op, and we compared notes. I found it very helpful at the time. If you search back, you can probably find those posts.

If it's easier, and you want to, a year or so afterwards I published an ebook of those posts and some extra material. Judging by reviews on Amazon, people find it useful. I don't think I can promote it here again, but if you want to buy a copy, send me a private message and I'll send you a link.
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Things will get better Barry but it's a long haul. My first two TKRs lasted 27 years - well, actually, I still have one of them, now 35 years. The other was replaced 7 years ago and it's brilliant. Just don't try to run before you can walk. Do the exercises, ice and elevate. We'll be here to cheer you on.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Hi,
    I'm in the same position as you. {almost weeks on} and my pain is bad. It was bone on bone before the op which was agony so its not as bad as it was then but still painful. My other one is sore as well now.
    I do have arthritis in that one as well and I know the logic that once I can use both legs equally that pain should ease
    I think I was spoiled with having Hip replacements before.
    I was so surprised at how sore the knee was compared to the hips.
    Lets hope that with rest, exercise and icing that we will be painfree {or less pain anyway} soon
    My 6 week appointment is until closer to 10 weeks this time.
    I managed to get 6 week appointments post op when I had my hips done but this time I cant get fitted in

Love
    Hieena