Started meds

joon51
joon51 Member Posts: 221
edited 22. Dec 2016, 14:32 in Living with Arthritis archive
Evening went to see rheumy nurse had my 1st MTX injection which I administered myself all went very well, she gave me a steroid jab in my behind made me jump, it took a couple of days to take effect which lasted about two days but it is now wearing off pain in foot and pain in my shoulder.
I am very confused with the whole malarkey of it all, I was diagnosed with ra in 2010 they have now said that it is palindromic rheumatism.
Usually I have steroid tablets they work wonders, but it has not been a week since steroid jab and I a feel all the pain coming back does this ever happen to anyone else where is just does not seem to work.
Thanks Joon

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    There are no guarantees, joon. Sometimes steroids work and sometimes not. Tablets are more likely to work than injections but they cause their own problems and, long term, are not a good option. You are by no means the first to find that the tablets work but the jabs don't. I'm sorry. I hope the meth kicks in soon and well done you for getting it right first time.

As for the change of diagnosis - yes, this happens too. It doesn't really matter. You are on DMARDS which is the right treatment for both conditions.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    In my experience injected steroids (either into the backside or directly into the joints) were a waste of time whereas I found the tablets wonderful - wonderful in that they conned me into thinking all was well and the problem was solved. It wasn't and it wasn't. x:) I don't have either now, I took the tablets for three years but after a strong talking-to from a no-nonsense rheumatology nurse I weaned myself off them, as a result after two years my bone density increased which was a good thing.

I know that the meth and humira control my PsA but they do nothing to ease my pain etc. and never have because it's all too little too late. I'm not sure that an accurate label matters with our situations, there are around three hundred kinds of auto-immune inflammatory conditions but the meds are the same. I wish you well with the meth, it is easy to do and I hope it helps. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • joon51
    Thanks DD and Sticky yes I've been on steroids quite a lot 4 short doses this year they do give you that well feeling.
    Have to ring the rheumy nurse today for results of blood will have a chat with her. It's going to take weeks for the MTX to start working had my worst nights sleep last night for a long long while, even co-codamal didn't touch it can anyone recommend a good pain killer tia.
  • dreamdaisy
    My favourite pain relief is general anaesthetic but the downside of that is I'm not awake to enjoy it. Pain 'killer' is a misnomer, pain 'duller' is more accurate. The stronger the relief the more we are taken away from the pain rather than vice versa, ongoing pain is distressing and frightening but it's a fact of our lives.

I take four 30/500 cocos per day, the second pair of tablets after I go to bed so they help me drift off; this leaves me room to manoeuvre if I need more during the day and I also have some tramadol for the rougher times. It is usual for me to wake every 90 minutes or so with pain-breakthrough, then last night I also had a cold-ridden husband to contend with. x:roll: DD
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    I hope it goes well, and productively, with the nurse.

There are lots of pain-relieving meds about (there are three strengths of co-codamol for a start) but of course the stronger the meds the more 'out of it' we are.

Please let's know how you get on.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • joon51
    Spoke to rheumy nurse she said my bloods were all fine I said about the pain that I've been in and she said take paracetamol or co-codamol if I'm still the same after Christmas to ring back.
    I went to work this morning and felt a lot better for going.
  • dreamdaisy
    Work is a double-edged sword: I found it a very useful distraction and I was fortunate in being self-employed - I had a lovely boss. x:wink: Sadly, however, it can work against us but not for you and not today!

I am pleased you have had a better day and I hope you have a good Christmas. DD