No heating over Christmas :(

bubbadog
bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
edited 5. Jan 2017, 16:25 in Living with Arthritis archive
Well it's sods law our heating has decided to pack up!! The heating man has just gone and he has condemned our heating and said we need a part that's expensive and needs to be ordered so won't be sorted out this side of Christmas or even not till after new year!! So we are having to use heaters and wear onesies. So it's one problem after the other. Just want to see the back of 2016. :winter-storm:

Comments

• Amble
    Amble Member Posts: 32
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    warm-hugs.gif
    Do hope you manage to enjoy yourselves. I'm so sorry about your heating. :x
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Oh no! That is not good is it? At least you have your space heaters, onesies etc. I think it very easy to take central heating for granted, especially in the warmer months when we don't need it . . . and then when it's needed . . . . catastrophe!

Keep your curtains drawn and doors closed, luckily it's not too cold at the moment but even so . . . . I wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • ouchpotato
    ouchpotato Member Posts: 453
    Oh no! I feel for you, ours went a couple of Christmases ago and we were without it for 2 weeks in the run up to Christmas. Luckily I rent the house so the letting agent was obliged to provide us with portable heaters for most of the rooms but it cost a fortune in electricity! It was awful. I hope you can manage to enjoy Christmas anyway.
  • TheLordFlasheart
    TheLordFlasheart Member Posts: 302
    Isn't just that typical that your heating packs up in the run up to Christmas.

Hope it's fixed soon.
    "Stoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast"
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    I'm sorry thiw has happened but glad you have alternative heating.

A similar thing happened to a wheelchair-bound friend some years ago. We have a contract with British Gas (Other firms are available :wink: ) and have ours serviced every year. It does seem expensive but.......
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Starburst
    Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
    Hi bubba. I'm sorry to hear this. That's miserable, particularly at this time of year. I hope you had a snuggly Christmas.
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    Oh no!!

How awful :(

I am glad you have some heaters at least. My MIL's went for about 10 days just before Christmas - it was the boiler so no hot water either!

((()))

Love

Toni xxx
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Still no heating!! They have ordered the part but it could be another few days before it comes in. :frozen:
  • Amble
    Amble Member Posts: 32
    If it's at all affordable it really would be worth looking at the 'coverage schemes' they provide.
    With such a coverage in place they have an obligation to attend practically straight away.
    Hope it gets sorted very soon.
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    I am very lucky to have a great central heating engineer who although he always provides a great service and doesn't rip you off now classes me as a priority customer due to my OA etc.

Be careful about schemes, my sister was badly let down by British Gas a few years ago and was without hot water for about 3 months, luckily it was the summer so that helped a bit.

It also depends on the age of your boiler. Mine was replaced last year and as long as I get it serviced annually which costs about £60 all repairs are covered.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    I think the annual service is the key, Slosh. If there's a problem lurking it will turn up then and be dealt with before it can cause any damage. Ours is part of the package.

A couple of years ago we had major problems which necessitated about 7-8 visits, some by senior engineers. In the end it emerged that the boiler had been lying :wink: Now that everything is computerised, faults are identified by numbers. We went through two new mother boards before it became obvious that the boiler was giving the wrong numbers out. It was finally sorted but I dread to think what the cost would have been if we'd had to pay.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    How are things now ?
  • daffy2
    daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
    My boiler was serviced this morning, and was given a clean bill of health by the engineer.
    However its guarantee(which covered manufacturing faults etc) ran out in November, so I am hoping,but not assuming, that everything will continue to work.....
  • Brutha
    Brutha Member Posts: 51
    This is what I do for a living. Happy to help with advice if anyone needs it. British gas central heating repair for 12 years now. Albeit only 4 days a week now.

Hope you heating is fixed now.