Washing Line Solutions

stickywicket
stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
edited 30. Dec 2016, 17:03 in Community Chit-chat archive
So far, in our new home, I've dried the washing indoors on a heated clothes horse thing. For summer, I'd rather get them outside. But how?

We have inherited a long, thin garden. Because I have very limited reach, in our old house I had a low-slung washing line which worked well though guests had to be warned not to strangle themselves on it :roll: I guess Mr SW could put up posts and I could fix my line along it but I'd be walking on bumpy grass which I wobble on. For safety's sake a succession of concrete slabs wouldn't really help. I'd need the entire area concreting and I love my bit of green.

My predecessor here had a rotary line which might theoretically be better but can one sink rotaries low? I presume there's a standard height and the ones I've seen are all above my reach.

Any suggestions?
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
Steven Wright

Comments

• daffy2
    daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    The height above ground can be controlled by how low the ground spike(which provides the socket for the drier pole) is set.
    Many decades ago my father made an error calculating the dimensions of the hole and the amount of concrete in which to set the spike which resulted in the socket being about 6 inches below ground level. As it happened it was an advantage once my mother had got the hang(!) of how to peg up sheets so that they didn't scrape the ground. The spike was located just at the edge of the patio paving so she was able to stand off the grass - useful when wet or frosty - and we learnt pretty soon not to step into the hole....
    The dimensions of rotary driers differ as well - some of the smaller ones are lower to the ground.
    Many folks leave their driers out and/or permanently erected. I don't because I don't think it adds to the look of the garden and also it gets dirty(birds, dust etc) The socket can also in many cases be used for parasols in summer
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    Our rotary is a bit lower than it should be due to the combined efforts of hubby and me to erect it but its no problem.I put it down and cover it but hubby has to put it back up.Mig
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    My neighbour put her airer outdoors in Summer..not ideal has they don't blow around but she seems happy with it and can still put pegs on most then they stay put..there are many umbrella dryers but some can be very expensive..some you could probably shorten by getting Mr SW to saw the end of the pole they are usually hollow aluminum..
    Love
    Barbara
  • stickywicket
    Thank you, everyone. That's useful info especially about the rotary ones.
    Steven Wright
  • Amble
    Amble Member Posts: 32
    Our daughter has one ( similar in style to a rotary one) which attaches to the wall of the house so 3 sides available. As it attaches to the wall you can decide which height would be best.https://www.amazon.co.uk/Brabantia-WallFix-Retractable-Washing-Fabric/dp/B000NTDDL6/ref=sr_1_fkmr2_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1483104205&sr=8-1-fkmr2&keywords=brabantia+clothes+line+which+attached+to+a+house+wall
  • stickywicket
    Thank you, amble. I saw one of these online and wondered. Mainly, I wondered how much strength is required to pull it open / push it shut. Do you happen to know?
    Steven Wright
  • Amble
    Amble Member Posts: 32
    I seem to remember that it isn't too difficult as long as you don't have it too high.
    Sorry, my memory is not exactly good!
  • Airwave!
    Airwave! Member Posts: 2,458
    What about two shorter lines or those pull out rachet ones? Or those airer stands outside?