Help! Nodule Nuisannce

Options
lindalegs
lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
edited 14. Jan 2017, 08:02 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi All,

Happy 2017 to you!

I suspect many on here with severe RA have one or two nodules to speak of. A couple of years ago I had one removed from my knuckle because on occasion it got infected therefore making it sore.

My problem now is that I have a large one on my only mobile elbow and it is changing! It's about the size of a large grape and is becoming pointed in shape plus it feels different. I have noticed that my elbow feels more stress when I'm using it and is now clicking occasionally.

Has anyone else had experience of nodules on elbows and do you think it might interfere with the movement I have left? Or will it settle down of it's own accord?

Answers on a postcard please ....just kidding, here will do nicely, thank you! :D

Love,
Love, Legs x
'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,712
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Now then,Legs. You, of all people, know we can't diagnose and that one person's nodule isn't necessarily anything like another's.

Mine tend to go for easy areas. I've had them on forearms but they've gone of their own accord. My latest one, near a knuckle, also knuckled off all by itself. I know the things on my finger joints are just OA bony growths.

If it's nattering you get it checked out. Trust me, I'm really good at giving advice though pretty rubbish at following it. Especially my own. I suspect you, like me, have a fear of initiating another long drawn out process and are trying to convince yourself it's not necessary. It might or might not be. Why not try the GP as a first resort? At least he's unlikely to get a knife out. Good luck!
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • lindalegs
    Options
    You are so right Sticky ......it is the long drawn out process of facing the knife that bothers me more than anything. Normally I would leave nodules well alone but if it does interfere with my elbow's mobility then I'm right up the creek if that stops working like it's twin!

I did think everyone's nodules were pretty much the same though, which you don't? I do know they can disappear too because I had a huge one once at the base of my spine in the beginning of RA and that has long since gone.

I shall do as you suggest and see my GP if it doesn't settle down, though I suspect he'll only tell me to ring my Rheumy :roll:

Thanks for taking the time to reply :D

Love,
    Love, Legs x
  • lindalegs
    Options
    Thank you for replying Sharon. :D

I have had my first Enbrel for a few weeks today so I shall give it till the end of the week before I set any wheels in motion.

You are right though this mobile elbow is very precious to me so I shan't mess about, I'm just reluctant to go down the scalpel route. I have read that nodules can be injected with steroids to reduce activity.

I shall post later when I've seen the doc.

Love,
    Love, Legs x
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hello Linda its good to hear from you...but sorry I wont be much help..I have a couple on my knuckles, one is sore the other isn't, not a clue why..hope it subsides or stop causing any probs , you let us know how you get on..x
    Love
    Barbara
  • stickywicket
    Options
    lindalegs wrote:
    I did think everyone's nodules were pretty much the same though, which you don't?

I've always regarded the knobbly boney bits on finger joints etc as just that – bits of boney joint gone wrong.

The nodules however seem to come on soft tissue and, although firm, to also consist of 'soft' tissue ie they might be very firm to the touch but can be squidged a bit if really pushed. The bones are entirely unsquidgey. For my money, the boney things are OA and their more wobbly cousins are the RA. Unsurprisingly, I do not have any medical qualifications :wink:

Good luck with yours.
    Steven Wright
  • lindalegs
    Options
    I'm scared now Sticky because I understand what you're saying ....which proves not only are our bodies extremely alike our minds work the same way too :shock:

0-0-23hihihaha.gif

Love,
    Love, Legs x
  • stickywicket
    Options
    :shock: :shock: :shock:

Is there an antidote?

(Alternatively, when my sons tell me I'm getting more like my mother I reply that I could do far worse :D )
    Steven Wright
  • lindalegs
    Options
    Laugh_zpsuss3nogw.gif

Love,
    Love, Legs x
  • lindalegs
    Options
    For those who may have an interest in my nodule :shock: I thought I would quickly update. I restarted my Enbrel injection last Monday and it appears to have settled down again. I see my Rheumy in June and I shall talk to her about it then. If becomes sore again before then I shall go to see my GP. :D

Over and out :mrgreen:

Love,
    Love, Legs x