This is becoming exasperating.

Options
dreamdaisy
dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
edited 16. Jan 2017, 05:58 in Living with Arthritis archive
This cold and cough is beginning to really get me down as it shows little sign of clearing off. I eventually saw a nurse practitioner who felt I was over the worst (agreed, well done me for weathering that storm) and that anti-bios were not applicable (also agree but given my circumstances I thought it worth seeing a medico). She suggested a decongestant which has helped to ease the face and headache but it's still present, as is the cough and episodes of trying to clear my nose.

The Spouse kindly donated this precious gift to me before Christmas, I began on Christmas Eve (he was ten days or more in by then) but he is still coughing and hacking away after nearly a month - and he's the healthy one! I feel completely washed out, lack concentration to a frightening degree (I am struggling with the children's puzzles in the paper FCOL*), I spend about five minutes up and about then have to go bed to recover. This is ridiculous. We're both in bed by 8pm, in addition to being back at work he is cooking and clearing and he's done laundry and ironing too.

I have resumed the meth and will humira next week, fully understanding that this will prolong things further but it's necessary. What a start to 2017; things will improve because they always do but I wish they would get a move on! :lol: DD

* FCOL = for crying out loud
Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben

Comments

• bubbles
    bubbles Member Posts: 6,508
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Sorry that you are really under the weather DD. This cough and cold that is going around is a horrid one and no denying. I was reading how many thousand people had it, but despite the cough, there is no need for AB's, as it doesn't usually end up as a chest infection, it is a horrid virus.
    Our friends next door have both got it, half the people we see are barking and hacking...........I need my mask on.

Lots of fluids, lots of vitamin C, some decongestants are ok, some are contraindicated, depending on your medication.

Not a good start at all, but I am sending lots of well wishes and hugs for it to get better, for both of you, as soon as is possible. XX Aidan
    XX Aidan (still known as Bubbles).
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    Options
    You poor thing that sounds really miserable and I'm not surprised it's getting you down. I know you will be doing all the sensible things so I just hope they start working for you soon.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Thank you, I went out yesterday for a little while which wiped me out so I won't be doing that again in a hurry!

You're quite right, Bubbles, I went because I was concerned that it was turning into a chest infection - luckily it wasn't / hasn't so that is a blessing. It is just a matter of waiting it out which is very dull but I feel too washed out to care!

If any of you have it I send my sympathies and if you don't a) I'm pleased and b) do your best to avoid it because it is VILE. DD
  • Starburst
    Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
    Options
    Oh how frustrating. You were right to get checked out. There are a few nasty viral respiratory infections going around but being immunosuppressed, we need to make sure we don't get secondary bacterial ones. I've got a head cold and I'm very grumpy, so I am sending much sympathy and get well soon vibes.
  • nearlybionic
    nearlybionic Member Posts: 1,899
    Options
    HI DD
    I can totally sympathise with you as I too have this nasty virus. The cough is really getting on my nerves, and my joints! My poor back is being jolted all the time with the coughing spasms. So fed up of it. Mr NB had it but only mildly, lucky him! I am washed out and sick of being indoors. It made me miss out on planned NYE activities, but I didn`t care at the time as couldn`t have gone.
    I hope you improve soon DD, and that the DMARDS don`t prolong things too much xx
    Take care
    NB
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,712
    Options
    I am exasperated too on your behalf.

I am not a patient patient and, in the end, these things dragging on just sap the energy and spirits, not to mention precluding the essential DMARDS.

I hope the trend is upwards, however slowly. Meanwhile I send some sunshine (courtesy of our webmanager) to brighten your day :sun:
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Every sympathy to you from me, NB, it's a total pig of an infection.

Well, I've gambled and am prepared to lose. :wink: I have done the humira but managed to find a capillary - messy! I shall give myself 48 hours and meth on Friday, kill or cure, yes? The Spouse is working at home today and insisting I stay in bed - how lovely is that? :lol: I'm battling with a very hard jigsaw, it's a lovely picture of Southwold in winter so there is snow - but it's a night scene . . . . . DD

PS Thank you Sticky, we had some sun this morning but now it's grey, windy and the temperature is dropping but I'm nicely tucked up in bed.
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    Options
    Hugs and more hugs (((()))) X Mig
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Sorry I am late seeing this DD...blimey you are suffering..this on top of everything is all you need..but glad to see you got our for a while..there is nothing worse than being stuck in the house..wheres the den when you need it..hope you feel much better very soon x
    Love
    Barbara
  • Slosh
    Options
    Hope you did as you were told
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Well, at long last things are somewhat better which is encouraging. My decorations are finally down and, thanks to The Spouse, mostly put away. I am going out today - hurrah! - to buy some salt blocks for the water softener (happiness is) and to drop off two bin bags full of old bath towels to a friend who needs them for her greyhound charity. Then home again for a rest :wink:

Thank you, each and every one, for your support over the past coup0le of weeks, it was much appreciated. DD
  • Slosh
    Options
    Good news but please take it steady
    Julian of Norwich
  • dibdab
    dibdab Member Posts: 1,498
    Options
    Glad things are finally a bit brighter DD, don't be tempted to overdo it now and unpick all the progress! :wink: Seriously though, if you're anything like me the frustrations of the past few weeks will leave you anxious to do all the stuff you've been looking at with frustration for a while. Maybe you can be busy doing this :animal_busy:

Take care of yourself,

Deb xx