Seronegative inflammatory arthritis with enthesitis

Options
Rach101
Rach101 Member Posts: 165
edited 11. Jan 2017, 06:37 in Living with Arthritis archive
So 8 months in and after paying for a private rheumatologist I have finally been given a diagnosis (see title!) and an actual treatment plan! I'm taking that as good news! The bad news is that it's not temporary after all but my rheumatologist says that treatment can lead to complete remission even for a period of years for some people. I've got another dose of steroids, starting high and finishing at 7.5mg a day as a short term thing, then I'm having sulfasalazine tablets for long term treatment which apparently can take 4-6 months to kick in (if they help me at all).

I'm hoping that the glimmer of light I can see is the end of the tunnel and not a huge truck bearing down on me!

Has anybody had a similar diagnosis and treatment? Any words of wisdom to share?

TIA Rach x

Comments

• Kerrsa
    Kerrsa Member Posts: 233
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Rach

My diagnosis is very similar. My pain is in my fingers (and sometimes heels) and was diagnosed in November. Took about 2 years and many doctor visits after the first pain. I have now been taking methotrexate for 9 weeks, but not much improvement yet, apart from side effects.

Not too much help or wisdom I'm afraid.
    Kerrin

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Rach101
    Rach101 Member Posts: 165
    Options
    Hi Sharon, thanks for the link, it was very interesting! Rach x
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,713
    Options
    I'm glad you feel easier about things now. That's worth a lot in terms of less stress and worry.

I was also interested to see that the initial research on enthesitis was done by my original rheumatologist, Prof Verna Wright – a very intelligent and warm person.

Diagnoses can change. I was originally diagnosed with Stills Disease at 15 (I always think it would probably have been JIA now) and that became RA as I got older but PsA was always a possibility because my mother had psoriasis.

What matters is less a precise diagnosis and more being on the right meds. Sulph is a tried and tested starting med for inflammatory arthritis of any kind and I hope it works for you.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright