Fractured collarbone.....any advice appreciated.

dibdab
dibdab Member Posts: 1,498
edited 26. Jan 2017, 14:04 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi folks,
I've been lurking around the forum edges for a while now, not coping too well with the RA and osteo,......sorry I've not been contributing.

To add insult to injury I slipped on some water in the kitchen 2 weeks ago and fractured my collarbone on my dominant hand side. I'm finding the sling to rest the bone whilst it heals a real trial because my arthritis is aching because of the lack of movement. To complicate matters my left shoulder and elbow are protesting because they're having unaccustomed use.

For the four weeks prior to that I'd been off my DMARD's because I've had a really sore mouth for weeks......deep joy....one cure causes another problem...... so now I'm back on the meds and my sore mouth is starting to crank up again...off to rheumy on Monday for a follow up on meds.

I was wondering whether anyone else has coped with the fracture/sling thing and how they might have found relief from the stiffness? Any suggestions or insights would be much appreciated.

Sorry if this sounds like a mega moan.....

Thanks for any suggestions/insight any one might offer.

Deb x

Comments

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Oh Deb :(

I am useless here, but really wanted to send you some ((()))

What awful bad luck :shock:

Are you allowed to do range of movement at all on the poorly side?

How long are you to be 'slinged'?

No need to feel as though you have to contribute to the forum. Might be your turn to have some of our support.

Take care of yourself

Toni xxx
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Oh no! You poor thing I am so sorry to read this. I was 'slung' for ages in January 2014 when I fractured my upper left humerus and it was a total pain :wink: . I am right handed but even so it caused a right load of bother for far too long, the worst bit was having to sleep sitting up. :roll: One boon, however, was discovering on-line supermarket shopping which I still use to this day.

This is one of those times where the only thing that will help is the passing of time. Collar bones are rather substantial aren't they? (I've just grabbed mine, it's thicker than I thought!) so, based on my experience, I advocate keeping it as still as possible, keep up with the dullers, keep well-hydrated (water is best but, given the circumstances, gin is permissible) and be a patient patient. ((( ))) DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • dibdab
    Thank you Toni and DD.

Toni, I've had a sling for 2 weeks now and another 2 to go before returning to reassess whether I need physio. I was told to rest completely for the 1st 2 weeks then do some very gentle movements 3 or 4 times daily.

DD, I absolutely resonate with the issues with sleeping, I naturally sleep on my side and struggle to settle off propped up.....hence I'm sporting some splendid grey circles under the eyes from the broken nights. I've been hitting the coco's in the hope of sleep, but maybe I need to try the gin option!!! :lol: . Hubby has washed more dishes and made more tea in the last 2 weeks than he normally does in a year........ not sure he'll keep it up. I had a stern talking to from my Paediatrician son about resting it properly to give it time to heal.....and a none too subtle hint that if I took my calcium tablets more regularly I might not have fractured it when I fell :oops: ......lesson learned I'm now shovelling them down twice a day! :?

On the plus side some lovely friends have turned up on the doorstep with home made food for dinner several times, makes me feel very lucky to have such good friends.

Deb xx
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    Ah that's nice to hear.

People can be lovely and their visits will help with DD's 'passing of time' :)

My Lucy is sleeping up on her V pillow with her collapsed shoulder joint. She's been doing it for about a year now so got used to it. She is looking forward to having a sling after 23rd of this month when she has her TSR. Daft I know, but she's only just 19 and has always wanted a 'cast' so this will be the closest!!

Keep on taking your tablets your son is right and I really hope you get well soon ((()))

Love

Toni xx
  • Starburst
    Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
    Oh Deb, I'm sorry to hear this. Not what you need! I wonder if you would get on well with a full body pillow. They're advertised for pregnant women but they are so comfy. They are a bit like a very big V shaped pillow. I can message you a link like the one I got if that helps?

Wishing you a speedy recovery. Rest up and take care. X
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Hello debs..I have fractured my collar bone many years ago now after slipping on leaves..must say it was before arthritis came along but boy it was painful..I can appreciate the aching you have not being able to move it..sorry Im not much use but so glad to here that friends have brought you food and there company..what lovely friends they are ...I hope it heals well they usually do x
    Love
    Barbara
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    dibdab wrote:
    On the plus side some lovely friends have turned up on the doorstep with home made food for dinner several times, makes me feel very lucky to have such good friends.

I suspect you have the friends you deserve, Deb.

Now, may I suggest less of this :bee: and more of this :animal_busy:

((( )))
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dibdab
    Thank you all for the encouragement and support.

SW, I'm trying not to make a habit of flying :( ....but this icy weather is making life a bit more hazardous...maybe the excuse I need to stay inside and read....or watch a good musical on dvd.

Starburst, I haven't tried a body pillow and would appreciate the link thank you.

Deb x
  • dibdab
    Thank you Sharon, I'll look in to it......hopefully will be free of the sling by Friday after 3 weeks....can't wait to be able to cook proper food again!

Deb x
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Hello, how are things going? Has your sling been slung? I hope so. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • dibdab
    Hi DD,
    Thanks for asking....the sling is slung and things are definitely improving. I am a mite frustrated that it's not all perfect yet, I'm still sore if I try doing anything too vigorous or lift anything with any weight but at least I can dress myself completely again and cut my meat! Simple pleasures. :) . I have a follow-up appointment next Tuesday and may be referred for physio, the shoulder is stiffer than I hoped but I'm sure the RA is partly to blame. My lovely son is still making sure that I don't undo the good work.

Hope things in your world aren't too difficult.

Deb xx