School Report

GraceB
GraceB Member Posts: 1,595
edited 13. Jan 2017, 10:41 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi, thanks to everyone who came along with me. Much to my surprise, everyone was impeccably well behaved!

Saw the actual prosthesis which was surprisingly heavy! Looks like they use the Rapid Recovery programme which involves as their first choice of anaesthetic a spinal block and sedation rather than a general. When I asked about this being suitable for me due to my lumbar spinal damage, I was told I must discuss this with the anaesthetist and raise it at the pre-op. (If anyone with spinal OA has had a spinal block I'd be interested in knowing if this made the OA worse please).

The Occupational Therapist was very helpful. Measured the distance between the floor and the crease at the back of my knee and was astounded when her tape measure said that part of my leg was 18". (I am 5'9"!). :lol: Turns out that anything I sit on/use shouldn't be any lower than 18" high. This is because I already have one TKR and of course will soon have 2. I knew I'd learn something!

The OT was pleased at the amount of equipment I already have, but is ordering me a raised toilet seat (that's too low!) and a perching stool for the kitchen. I said I'd planned to pump up my office chair on wheels to it's highest point and scoot about the kitchen on that and her eyes bulged. She nearly told me off - and I thought I'd found a way round a problem! :o

My recliner sofa is technically a little low at 16" from floor to seat but they can't "jack up" a recliner sofa and I don't have any other chairs to use. I've said I'll get a cushion to go on this to bring the level up a bit. (I think there's a cushion at Mum's I can have - we are clearing her house next week).

They suggested wrapping cling film round the dressing to enable showering.

Now I wait for my pre-op appointment letter to come through which, as I've been told my surgery will be end January/early February, should be with me soon.

I award all of you an A* for your exemplary behaviour, your conduct, your attention to detail and how neatly you were all presented. All of you were punctual, polite and courteous. Thank you.

GraceB
Turn a negative into a positive!

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Grace
    glad it went well. I am sure you gave the OT a heart attach at the suggestion of scooting round the kitchen on your office chair but I am sure people do much worse things and just don't tell anyone. Let us know when you get your pre-op appointment.
    Best Wishes
    Sharon
  • Sars4185
    Sars4185 Member Posts: 34
    Hi Grace
    Glad all went well for you . Keep us posted on your pre op
    Sara
  • nearlybionic
    nearlybionic Member Posts: 1,899
    Hi Grace
    It sounds like it was a very thorough lesson! I am glad that they are making sure you are well prepared for when you get your date through.
    I am glad that we got an A*, that`s a first for me :lol::lol:
    NB
  • GraceB
    GraceB Member Posts: 1,595
    Thanks for the replies. Yes, the OT's face was a true picture of horror. Personally, I thought it was a good way around a problem showing initiative - and what my dear late Dad would have described as "gumption". :lol:

I spoke to the hospital today as I'd not had the form yet to "complete and return" that the waiting list people had said I'd get. Turns out that the hospital don't do this, so I've been waiting for something that was never going to happen. Never mind.

I've been told that the hospital gets their list updated weekly and as I wasn't on their system today, they should get the information tomorrow or extremely early next week. Once my name shows up on their system I'll get a call for the pre-op and be offered a surgery date. Pre-ops are always done on a Friday apparently and my consultant operates at this hospital on a Monday. (Thought I'd ask whilst I could!).

So, a couple of very interesting days.

GraceB
    Turn a negative into a positive!
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Yup I had a similar idea re office chairs a few days after returning home with my THR. I was in our – laminated - dining room. Phone rang. I shot across in the office chair to answer it. In my zeal I sat too near the front, chair tipped up and I ended up sitting on the floor. Mr SW was out (thank God!) and I won't bore you with the details of how I got upright again but it featured much bottom shuffling, my pick-up stick, many scatter cushions and a couple of chair cushions. Luckily I made it (absolutely lathered) before he got back. Equally luckily, the THR survived it all too. But I wouldn't recommend it.

A little tip – cushions aren't good at raising seat levels as, once one sits on them, they sink back to the original level of the chair. Before I realised my wheelchair seat was the perfect height I used to take a chair seat from one of the armchairs and put that into mine. They are usually much firmer and firm is far more reliable. I suggest you have a trial run or two before the op. See how easy it is to get up immediately after sitting down then try again half an hour later.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright