Stress

Gezzy
Gezzy Member Posts: 7
edited 16. Jan 2017, 04:18 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi I work in a very busy pharmacy. I've been with the company for over 20 years. Exactly 12 months ago they moved me out of my regular branch and into a nightmare branch. I have tried to fit in by helping everyone and working extra hours to catch up on pharmacy work so that there wouldn't be a back log of work for the rest of the pharmacy team. Well I burnt myself out and was off with stress for 6 weeks back in the march 2016 . Since I came back the staff have been very bitchy towards me and I started with aches and pains in all off my joints. I was so poorly I couldn't walk or even drive. I finally got to see my GP in September for blood tests and mri scans , The rheumatologist told me that she was appalled that my company would allow such treatment of their staff. Every joint in my whole body is inflamed and I now need a new knee. I'm dreading going back in in February. They wont let me sit down for a moment even though a lady from occupational health rang me on line interview. I'm on steroid injections, methotrexate and etoricoxib. I cannot afford to quit my job as I have my 15 year old grand daughter living with me and my husband. I don't know what to do next. :( . PS we have had 3 managers and 6 staff that have left and only replaced them with me. not good.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Gezzy
    welcome to the forum. I am so sorry you work in an unfriendly.environment :sun:
    you will find all friendly and helpful, just pick a forum and chat away. Chit Chat and LWA are the most busiests
    All the best Christine :sun:
  • Gezzy
    Thank you, so very much. :)
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Hi Gezzy. This is an extraordinary situation. I've never heard of someone going from diagnosis to needing a replacement joint in four months. I was 20 years before I got my knees replaced and I hadn't been on any decent DMARDS for most of that time. Yours must be exceptionally aggressive.

You are in a very unenviable situation which you have not had long to get used to but I'm afraid you will have to because arthritis is no respecter of our needs and it thrives on stress.

I can only suggest that you give our helpline people a ring on Monday and talk the whole thing over. Your workplace sounds horrible but, even if it wasn't, you clearly couldn't be on your feet all those hours. Your priority now must be to get the arthritis under control. How long have you been on methotrexate and what dose? It can take 2 or three months to work.

Please do ring the helpline. This is not something that can be sorted quickly.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Gezzy
    Hi Gezzy. This is an extraordinary situation. I've never heard of someone going from diagnosis to needing a replacement joint in four months. I was 20 years before I got my knees replaced and I hadn't been on any decent DMARDS for most of that time. Yours must be exceptionally aggressive.

You are in a very unenviable situation which you have not had long to get used to but I'm afraid you will have to because arthritis is no respecter of our needs and it thrives on stress.

I can only suggest that you give our helpline people a ring on Monday and talk the whole thing over. Your workplace sounds horrible but, even if it wasn't, you clearly couldn't be on your feet all those hours. Your priority now must be to get the arthritis under control. How long have you been on methotrexate and what dose? It can take 2 or three months to work.

Please do ring the helpline. This is not something that can be sorted quickly.
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    Hello Gezzy and welcome to the forums from me too.

You poor thing!!

You sound to have had a dreadful time both at work and physically.

I wonder whether you have actually been poorly for a lot longer than you realised due to your busy life looking after your GD and working. It only coming to a head when you moved to this new place??

That would explain how your knee is so bad, seemingly, so fast.:(

Some of the members on here have used ACAS to support them in work-type issues. It might be worth you taking a look at the 'benefits and working matters' forum and see whether any of the situations there can help you.

In the meantime we are here and can support you as much as possible. Between us all we have loads of experience and tips which might help make your life a bit easier.

Love

Toni xx
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    Hi Gezzy,

Well that's a terrible situation. First things first. You are NOT making life hard for your co-workers, your company is. Neither should you be receiving calls telling you such. Why not let them go to answerphone so you have a record of his actions.

You have already been contacted by occ health which is great. How about getting in touch with them and telling them all you have told us.

Sticky is right, you have to get your RA under control, imagine yourself at work ... Would it work? Would your co-workers benefit from your being there? Of course not so stop worrying about that for now.

Here's a booklet about employment rights
    https://arthritiscare.org.uk/living-with-arthritis/working-with-arthritis/know-your-rights

There is a lot of other advice on the website arthritiscare.org.uk

I second Sticky - our helpline is 0808 800 4050
    If you didn't want to talk you can post on the helplines thread on this forum.

Take care
    Yvonne x
  • Gezzy
    Hi Thank you all so much. I really appreciate all your advice, I feel better in myself. Back at hospital tomorrow for yet another Prednisone injection and bloods checked. I know what you mean about my work place. There is a college at another branch that is having a similar problem as myself. She's had RA for around 12 months and is having a flare up so gone off sick in work. She rang me over the weekend in floods of tears. I told her about this web site so hopefully she can get some guidance and comfort herself.
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    Gezzy wrote:
    Hi Thank you all so much. I really appreciate all your advice, I feel better in myself. Back at hospital tomorrow for yet another Prednisone injection and bloods checked. I know what you mean about my work place. There is a college at another branch that is having a similar problem as myself. She's had RA for around 12 months and is having a flare up so gone off sick in work. She rang me over the weekend in floods of tears. I told her about this web site so hopefully she can get some guidance and comfort herself.

Gezzy I am so glad you are feeling better in yourself :) I do hope your friend will come along and join us she will be very welcome.

Love

Toni xx