My body is under attack!

ouchpotato
ouchpotato Member Posts: 453
edited 18. Jan 2017, 08:48 in Living with Arthritis archive
Yep, me again!

These past few days/weeks I feel as if my body is under attack from...well, itself I guess.

Both wrists, base of thumbs and fingers are excruciatingly painful, my fingertips are sore, and now my jaw has joined in.

My original and long-standing dodgy areas have been my spine and hips which was dx as OA. But this is different, the joints feel hot, my wrist appears swollen, and my knuckles have swollen up twice, along with a very weak grip and difficulty bending my fingers due to stiffness. Even typing this is causing horrible pains (and I'm a freelance writer, it's not good!).

It's going to be weeks before I get to see the Dr, so in the meantime I have to come here and whine/cry!

Comments

• Rachel1962
    Rachel1962 Member Posts: 6
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    ouchpotato wrote:
    Yep, me again!

These past few days/weeks I feel as if my body is under attack from...well, itself I guess.

Both wrists, base of thumbs and fingers are excruciatingly painful, my fingertips are sore, and now my jaw has joined in.

My original and long-standing dodgy areas have been my spine and hips which was dx as OA. But this is different, the joints feel hot, my wrist appears swollen, and my knuckles have swollen up twice, along with a very weak grip and difficulty bending my fingers due to stiffness. Even typing this is causing horrible pains (and I'm a freelance writer, it's not good!).

It's going to be weeks before I get to see the Dr, so in the meantime I have to come here and whine/cry!
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    Take photos Ouch! In the meantime gather evidence ready for the Drs.

I suggest you try something cool on those joints when they are hot like that.

Sending love

Toni xxx
  • dibdab
    dibdab Member Posts: 1,498
    Oh dear, that sounds painful and frustrating. I wonder if you've tried some anti-inflammatories? If taking the tablets isn't possible a rub in anti-inflammatory gel might help.....pharmacists often give good advice about this kind of thing. I agree it's a good plan to take photos of joint swelling as there's no guarantee the swelling will still be there when you get to your GP.

Take care.
    Deb x
  • ouchpotato
    Hello everyone, and thanks for the replies.

Dibdab - I can't take any NSAIDs (Diclofenac was great, worked wonders, then my Dr took me off them as per NHS guidelines and replaced them with Naproxen which promptly landed me in A&E!) but I have been using the gel which does ease the pain to an extent, but it is short lived - maybe 30 minutes. However, that 30 mins is bliss!

Frogmorton - I did take photos of my knuckles when they were swollen, so when I do eventually get to see a Dr I will have that to show him or her.

The really strange thing about this is that, although it aches all the time and increases when I move my arm, it gets much worse around 6pm - it's like an alarm clock! I don't know if it is because by that time I am sitting relaxing, but even on those days when I have had a duvet day (we all need those, right?) it still ramps it up at that time.

I hit a new low when I had to ask my daughter to undo my bra for me last night, as trying to do it myself involves major spasms and pain in my arms. I am stubbornly independent and letting go of any of that is completely alien to me!
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    It might be that you relax wrongly :wink: I know it sounds odd but it can be very easy to hold one joint or another in a position that seems OK for it but isn't. It might be worth trying a different chair or sofa or making a determined effort to sit differently.

I'm not sure, from reading your post, but did you realise that both diclos and nap are NSAIDS?

Bras? Is yours necessary? (I know for some they are). I ditched mine when I couldn't fettle it back in the late 60's / early 70's and have never regretted it.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • ouchpotato
    Hi Sticky

Yes, I knew they were both NSAIDs, but when I was on diclo it was great, huge difference in pain levels. But then they stopped prescribing them and changed it to Naproxen, which caused me to have severe stomach issues, so now I have a big fat NO NSAIDs on my records!

Sadly, yes...a bra is a necessity! I am...ahem...blessed in that dept, and take a J cup, so not wearing one is out of the question, they end up around my knees! I would love not to have to wear one.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    I was initially on Clebrex and that was fantastic but the GP changed me to naproxen and omeprazole on the basis of cost, not on the basis of my taking a drug that actually helped matters. Hey-ho.

I'm guessing that, for whatever reason, your arthritis is pretty active at the moment - stress is a well known trigger (and hard to avoid at times) plus the weather certainly influences matters. I hope that things improve soon. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • ouchpotato
    Hi Daisy, yes I seem to be in the midst of a huge flare up, with no signs of a let up. Last night was my worse night by far - The pain in my elbows was hideous and had me in tears most of the night. Needless to say I am very tired and cranky today!

I finally received a letter from the new surgery saying I was now registered - yaaaay - but the first apt I could get was for the 6th Feb, so I still have another 3 weeks (almost) to wait!

Now I have to brave the cold and go into town, I don't want to...I'd rather hibernate but I haven't been out of the house since Friday and supplies are dwindling - plus I have run out of printer paper and I need to work today.

Hey hum
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    I'm sorry you had another bad night, ouch, but glad you are now registered. No doubt the appointment can't come quickly enough for you. May I suggest you take with you a repeat prescription form, if you take regular meds, as it'll save time and effort once you get there?

Having just moved to somewhere further from a local supermarket than our previous home, I'd also suggest home deliveries. It takes all the walking, packing and carrying strain off your hands and all you have to do is order in comfort and unpack at leisure. I ordered my weekly shop yesterday lunchtime and it's all stored away now in fridge, freezer and cupboards. (And most supermarkets sell computer paper.) That way you can still go out, either for a walk round the block without heavy bags or to a neighbour's for a cuppa and chat. Much easier on the joints.

In fact, maybe I should take some of my own advice and have a potter as otherwise I'll be nodding off :roll:
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright