Cortisone injections

bgould
bgould Member Posts: 10
edited 19. Jan 2017, 07:38 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hello everybody,help please,had TKR 5th.Dec.2016,my left knee.Very pleased so far,no pain when walking,still a bit swollen and stiff,but happy so far.The problem is that the O/A in my right knee is now so bad that I can only walk about 200-300 yards.It is agony.I was wondering if anyone out there has had a cortisone injection for O/A, as a temporary solution,until I can have the Right knee replaced,would you recommend it or not.I am waiting for a NHS brace for my knee, but have had no success with them in the past, that is why I am considering cortisone injections.Barry.G

Comments

• barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hello and welcome to the forum bgould
    This is the trouble your other knee will be compensating for the new one ..I did have a cortisone injection in my knee many years ago now,..then we found out the pain was referred from my hips..so ask to have your hips x-rayed just to make sure....but the steroid should help meanwhile..
    Love
    Barbara
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Hello and welcome, Barry. I'm so glad your TKR is successful. Mine too. However, your other knee will have been taking the strain for some time now. No wonder it's protesting.

The good news is that only being able to do 200-300 yards at this stage will not have an adverse impact on the TKR as long as you keep doing the exercises. In fact yoir other knee will also benefit from doing the same exercises.

Cortisone injections are unpredictable things. They work well for some and not at all for others. And/or they work sometimes, but no guarantees. Trying will do no harm but do the exercises too.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • TheLordFlasheart
    TheLordFlasheart Member Posts: 302
    Hi and welcome to the forums.
    I had a steroid injection in my left knee (I have OA in just that knee) back in August and it lasted for a good 4 months, which is good going.

As Stickwicket says, steroids don't always work for everyone, and if it does it could be for a short length of time only.

Best of luck.
    "Stoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast"
  • Starburst
    Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
    Hi Barry and welcome. I've had mixed experiences with cortisone injections; some have given good - albeit short term - results and some have done nothing. To be honest, I'm not a fan of them and I've stopped having them. I'm no worse for it. Have you tried various other options e.g. alternating ice and heat, TENS machine and acupuncture etc? Obviously we are all different and have our own experiences. What does your orthopaedic surgeon think?