Another step on my TJR journey

Options
Starburst
Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
edited 24. Jan 2017, 09:50 in Living with Arthritis archive
Thank you for being my pocket dwellers. I was worried that I wouldn't be able to go because the woofster has been really poorly since Christmas and ended up having a huge operation earlier in the week. I was nervous about leaving him but a couple of friends did dog sitting shifts.

Friday was a long day and I'm still tired but it went well. I had my 3D CT planning scan which took a matter of minutes. Afterwards, I met with the maxillofacial surgeon again and he patiently answered my long list of questions. He confirmed that I have a collapsed jaw joint on both sides and therefore, this surgery is the only option. He took some cement impressions of my mouth and these, alongside the scans, will be sent to America to custom make my new joints. This takes about 12 weeks but I'll also need to travel for a pre-op assessment and obviously, they'll need to book the surgery. He said we aiming for April/May but we will have a clearer picture in a couple of months or so. Before I left, I asked what the prothesis looks like and he let me take a photo. Hopefully, you can see the picture below. I think it looks quite cool. The joints are much smaller and lighter than I had imagined.

2upcq52.jpg

Comments

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,417
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Oooh! Sophie it looks all sparkly!!

Be careful our DD might be after it, she has a penchant for sparkly things :wink:

Well seriously things are moving on well for you I am so pleased. I am even more pleased that medicine has advanced enough for you to have such surgery :)

We will all be with you for your op and all the steps along the way.

Take care

Love

Toni xxx
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    Options
    Looks good,before you know it it will be all be over with.(((()))) Mig
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    Options
    So pleased it went well for you.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Crikey, that's an amazing piece of medical engineering, isn't it incredible what can be done in this day and age (and, conversely, what can't). I'm glad that it al went well for you - please let us know when the day is approaching so we can be there for you. DD

PS I hope your dog is on the mend.
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,710
    Options
    Ditto. ((( )))
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hi Sophie
    thats is so impressive, must have been scary when you first saw it..it just goes to show how far things have come on ..its like something out of a science fiction film...will be in pocket duties when you have the op, and I hope your doggie is recovering well x
    Love
    Barbara
  • dibdab
    dibdab Member Posts: 1,498
    Options
    That looks like an amazing piece of engineering....I never cease to be amazed at what our fantastic NHS can do........hope all goes well for you.
    PS...hope the dog is better, they're so much part of the family it's a real worry when they're under the weather.

Deb x
  • Starburst
    Options
    Little doggy is slowly on the mend. He's certainly not himself but I didn't really expect it given what he's been through. It's sad seeing like this and he just doesn't understand why he can't jump on the sofa and leap up the stairs.

I do certainly feel very lucky that they are able to do this for me. It's certainly going to be a trying time as I recover but I've been struggling with this for a long time. At least I know that I will recover from the surgery, whereas if I stay like this, it will only get worse. They've just got to get my jaw pain under control until then because it's unbearable. The pain consultant suggested morphine patches but gastro has concerns, so we shall see.
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,417
    Options
    Oh Sophie I am sorry they haven't got the unbearable pain under control that's awful :(

Maybe the gastro would let you try the patches - just try them see what happens.

I know morphine and the like to tend to 'block you up', but so do co-cos and tramadol so..???

((())) for you and doggie

Love

Toni xxx
  • Starburst
    Options
    Thank you Toni You know, in a weird way, the pain is a useful reminder of why I need this surgery. Statistically, it is likely that I will have minimal background pain once I have healed.

I'm on codeine and paracetamol with the occasional morphine dose which is why gastro is concerned about the constant levels of morphine. That said, my vomiting has flared down, so I think I'm in a good position to try the patches. We shall see.

Doggy is on the mend and doing well on the dog version of co-codamol. :lol:

Hope all is well at chez frogmorton xx
    frogmorton wrote:
    Oh Sophie I am sorry they haven't got the unbearable pain under control that's awful :(

Maybe the gastro would let you try the patches - just try them see what happens.

I know morphine and the like to tend to 'block you up', but so do co-cos and tramadol so..???

((())) for you and doggie

Love

Toni xxx