Advice please on second knee replacement

Options
Mystic07
Mystic07 Member Posts: 19
edited 16. Jan 2017, 18:01 in Living with Arthritis archive
I had my first TKR 8 weeks ago and am recovering well. I had my check up with my consultant this week and have arranged my 2nd one for the end of March. Can I ask anyone who has had both done if they consider this too soon as I've suddenly got very apprehensive. My consultant has said he will go with my wishes but I wondered what other people's experiences were. I am 56 and live on my own. I know everyone is different but any advice would be appreciated. Should I wait until my operated knee is stronger?

Thanks

Cath

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,714
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Back in the early days of TKRs I had my first at the beginning of April and my second the first week in June. No problems at all. The surgeon's only stipulation was that the scar on the first had healed so as not to be a potential source of infection for the second.

Some on here have had both done together but I guess that's a bit different.

What are your concerns about having the second in March?
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hi Cath
    I dont think we have met so welcome to the forum from me
    I see sticky has given you some advice and I want to wish you well with both ops..I am sure the surgeon would say if it was to soon , just see how you feel when the time is here..
    Love
    Barbara
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,427
    Options
    Are you worried about the practical things Cath living alone rather than pain?

I think you might just find the first 'new knee' is feeling much stronger by then.

At the end of the day this can only be your decision though and your consultant sounds a good one not pressurising you.

Love

Toni xxx
  • Mystic07
    Options
    Back in the early days of TKRs I had my first at the beginning of April and my second the first week in June. No problems at all. The surgeon's only stipulation was that the scar on the first had healed so as not to be a potential source of infection for the second.

Some on here have had both done together but I guess that's a bit different.

What are your concerns about having the second in March?

Thankyou for your reply. I think I've just had a wobble after seeing the consultant on Friday. He was hauling my knee about a bit and it's been uncomfortable (not painful) since. I am walking stiffly now. I know it will settle down but I just wondered if maybe it wasn't strong enough yet to support a new one. I have about 10 weeks though so may feel better nearer the time

Cath xx
  • Mystic07
    Options
    barbara12 wrote:
    Hi Cath
    I dont think we have met so welcome to the forum from me
    I see sticky has given you some advice and I want to wish you well with both ops..I am sure the surgeon would say if it was to soon , just see how you feel when the time is here..

Thanks Barbara. I still have 10 weeks to go so I'm sure I'll be much stronger by then. I'm just having a wobble. I also think I may just be really indecisive! My friend gave me a fridge magnet which read 'I used to be indecisive but now I can't make up my mind' :lol: Says it all really! Thankyou for the lovely welcome and your good wishes

Cath xx
  • Mystic07
    Options
    frogmorton wrote:
    Are you worried about the practical things Cath living alone rather than pain?

I think you might just find the first 'new knee' is feeling much stronger by then.

At the end of the day this can only be your decision though and your consultant sounds a good one not pressurising you.

Love

Toni xxx

Hi Toni,

My consultant is great but is naturally leaving the decision up to me. The trouble is I'm rubbish at making decisions :oops: There are a few practical things I am worried about. Got stuck in the shower a few times in the early days with this one (I was given a bath board but I have an oddly shaped bath so couldn't use it) and I'm concerned that my 1st operated knee might not be strong enough to cope with that as well as a 2nd one. I do have 10 weeks though so plenty time to get it stronger

Thanks for your reply

Cath xx
  • Mystic07
    Options
    webmanager wrote:
    Hi Cath,
    I think if you have some doubts it may be worth writing down your concerns and look at solutions that you feel happy with. If getting in and out of the sower is an issue ask your GP to give you and OT referral so that they can come to your house and sort out your concerns, especially if you live on your own. Also you could give our helpline a ring to sort out what your worry list is, at least then you can create a plan to manage it. \keep us up to date Cath!!
    Best Wishes
    Sharon

Hi Sharon,

That's very good advice, thankyou. I will definitely do that

Thanks for the reply

Cath
  • Helenbothknees
    Helenbothknees Member Posts: 487
    Options
    Hi Cath,
    I had both my knees done together, so I haven't ever been in quite your situation. But I think you'll be fine. You have over two months to go until the next op, which will be over four months after the first one, if I've understood correctly. 4 months after having both mine done, my partner and I went on holiday to Madeira, and I was walking on cobbled streets and up hills and generally living quite normally...I didn't even bother taking sticks with me. Everyone is different in terms of recovery rate, but if all is going well so far, I think you'll be surprised by how well your new knee will work by then. I'd say go for it!
  • Mystic07
    Options
    Hi Cath,
    I had both my knees done together, so I haven't ever been in quite your situation. But I think you'll be fine. You have over two months to go until the next op, which will be over four months after the first one, if I've understood correctly. 4 months after having both mine done, my partner and I went on holiday to Madeira, and I was walking on cobbled streets and up hills and generally living quite normally...I didn't even bother taking sticks with me. Everyone is different in terms of recovery rate, but if all is going well so far, I think you'll be surprised by how well your new knee will work by then. I'd say go for it!

Hi Helen,

Thanks for your reply. That's great to know that you have done so well. Feeling much more confident about it all now.

Cath xx