New Sainsbury scam

stickywicket
stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
edited 16. Jan 2017, 17:20 in Community Chit-chat archive
Beware. A friend has just been caught.

It's (currently) a WhatsApp scam in which £250 worth of vouchers are allegedly yours if you fill in a short questionnaire and send it to 10 others. Don't do it. It's not from Sainsburys and is only a method of getting malware into your computer.

Remember - if it sounds too good to be true it probably is. In this case it definitely is.
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
Steven Wright

Comments

• barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Thanks SW, I do collect the nectar points ...the things they get up to.. :x
    Love
    Barbara
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    This one was doing the rounds on facebook a few years back. I've also been getting a lot of 'pass this on' messages allegedly from friends which have to be ignored because they are likely to be from hackers.

Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Thank you for the warning, I received the message from a friend this morning but didn't act on it which was just as well. Maybe this type of thing is the 21st century equivalent of a chain letter but far more pernicious in what it might achieve . . . . . Quite why people would think that a supermarket would happily give away £250 to all and sundry is bewildering. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • TheLordFlasheart
    TheLordFlasheart Member Posts: 302
    Im more tech savy, so am aware of these type of scams. As sticky said, if its too good to be true ignore it.
    "Stoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast"
  • daffy2
    daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
    Quite why people would think that a supermarket would happily give away £250 to all and sundry is bewildering. DD
    Possibly because they do give away vouchers or the 'chance to win' same if you complete some sort of 'how did we do' thing. I suspect it's very much easier now with so many folks being permanently connected to, and inhabiting, the online world. The fact that it's 'only' £250 makes it more credible also.
    I gather that it's a way to make pin money for some, completing questionnaires, reviews and the like, and I doubt they consider what is going to happen to that information or how many businesses gain access to them as a result.