Got diagnosed

hippy
hippy Member Posts: 55
edited 20. Jan 2017, 16:59 in Living with Arthritis archive
I had the confirmation today that I do have arthritis in my knees. Worse on the left. Spoke to the physio who says I am doing all the right things, particularly with increasing my muscle exercises and then reducing them when too painful. He explained that OA can have flare ups, settle back down and flare up again. It seems I am having a flare up just now. He didn't advise on other limbs as apparently that would be a separate referral.
So, just got to get on with making my muscles stronger now.

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    At least you know what's what and I hope that helps. OA can have its moments, I find that mine is affected by the weather and by my overdoing things (I have it in both ankles, both knees and both hips). What medications have you been given? I use 30/500 cocodamol for pain relief plus the very occasional diclofenac to ease any inflammation. Keep up with the exercises, rest as often as you can (preferably with your feet raised and maybe with a cushion under your knees). I am a side-sleeper and need a pillow between my legs, running lengthwise from ankle to groin as this cushions my lower leg from the upper which is a great help. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • TheLordFlasheart
    TheLordFlasheart Member Posts: 302
    A diagnosis can help, not knowing can be the worst. I was only diagnosed with OA in my left knee 4 years ago, and before that I suffered with occasional knee pain/locking up.

My OA has it moments, some days it can really be bad and I feel fatigued to the point of not wanting to do anything. Like dreamsaisy, I too find the weather/overdoing it can make my OA worse, and when it does I stop and just take my time.

I find raising my knee, on a cushion cube with 2 cusions on top and an ice pack helps when my OA flares up.

Best wishes
    "Stoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast"
  • hippy
    Thanks,

yeah, I am going to try sleeping with a pillow between my knees as if my knees rub against each other in the night, then I waken in terrible pain and then it is more sore the next day. I am a restless sleeper so I am not sure how it will work out....
    I am going to buy a pouffe so I can put my legs out in front of me. If I don't, I forget and I cross my legs. Then I don't realise until I have to uncross them that it is going to be so painful.
    I haven't spoken to my GP re pain relief as the info was passed from him to the physio. I am hoping to manage with Ibuprofen. Someone suggested that I take it for three days at a time. I don't fancy having to take it every single day.
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Ah, I remember the days of unknotting legs :wink: It's tricky, isn't it?

NSAIDS do work best when taken continuously. None of us like taking meds and it's best to take as few as possible but some are necessary. If you are taking an NSAID regularly you should have a stomach-protecting med with it, though.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,336
    Hippy

I tend to agree with Sharon there; nsaids can be harsh on our stomachs. Most of us who take them regularly are prescribed PPI (protein pump inhibitors (sp) - not one of those loan-thingies!!), to protect our tummies.

I take arcoxia myself and take it for periods of time when necessary.

Don't underestimate the power of paracetamol either it can be really effective especially taken alongside anti-inflammatories like ibuprofen.

Take care now and don't forget your pharmacist if it's difficult to get an appointment with your GP.

Love

Toni xxx
  • hippy
    Hi,

thanks all.

Yes, I will defintely check out meds with my GP first. I am really hoping not to have to take them at all, or hardly. I am hoping that building up my leg muscles will really have a positive impact. Also, now that I know what is wrong, I am weighing up if I can live with the pain or not. It seemed more difficult when I didn't know what was causing it. For example, today I walked two miles (I am trying to walk two miles every day or every second day.) and my knees hardly hurt at all. They are sore tonight but then they are sore almost every night. However, if I sit with my legs straight out in front of me (instead of bent or crossed over) then they don't hurt the same. They hurt in the morning but then everywhere hurts in the morning! It wears off after an hour or so.
    I already take a proton pump inhibitor though because of a hiatus hernia and other medications causing acid. I rattle enough already :-D
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Hi Hippy
    I think you've got all the information you need.

Rest and Ice and exercise being the best things I think.

It is much better when you know what's wrong isn't it.? You cn relax a bit and get on with coping with it and self managing where as when you don't know what it is you don't really know what to do.

Strengthen those muscles :lol: I've just had 1 TKR and am frantically trying to strengthen the muscles on the other leg because its seems to be getting sore now.

Love
    Hileena