Benepali

Options
DMTJ
DMTJ Member Posts: 8
edited 25. Jan 2017, 07:30 in Living with Arthritis archive
My rheumatologist has just prescribed me Benepali instead of Enbrel. Apparently this is the cheaper version of Enbrel. Can anyone tell me if they have noticed any different side effects. Also, is Benepali as effective as Enbrel. I have my doubts but would be interested to hear your experiences.

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,714
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I can literally only remember either one or two threads on here about the new bio-similars. I don't think either was about enbrel but I can't be sure. And I think they were from people anxious about the change rather than having actual problems with the meds.

I can understand both the anxiety and NHS's need to reduce costs wherever possible. I remember when generic prescribing first came in and I was shifted from voltarol to its generic diclofenac. The latter upset my stomach. My GP said that the active ingredients have to be identical but the inactive ones could be slightly different eg the coating of the pill and it could be that that was causing the problem despite the minute quantities. I changed back and was OK – for a while.

I don't know whether or not injectable meds have any inactive ingredients but, if not, I can't see how there could be any difference between the originals and the bio-similars.

I know methotrexate has long been prescribed generically. I can tell because the shape of my tablets changes. The same goes for my hydroxychloroquine. That comes from several different manufacturers. I even got yellow ones once :o As for omeprazole, it's not just the packets but the pills too. I've had yellow ones, pink ones, green and black ones. They come from different sources but all work.

I hope you get on well with the benepali and I wish you a smooth transition.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • DMTJ
    Options
    Thanks for that. I have actually been taking the Benepali for the last 4 weeks. I certainly did not think about the possibility of any difference at the time, maybe I should have!!!
    I was only at the end of last week that I realised that I did not feel as good as normal. I occasionally feel nauseous and my joints are more painful and I thought " Is it the Benepali"? It doesn't seem as if anyone else has felt like this so only thing to do is ask my Rheumy nurse.
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,714
    Options
    I think that's a very wise move. They are the people who can best advise you and can see your latest blood results which might give them a clue. Please let's know how you get on as I'm sure this would be useful to others.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • DMTJ
    Options
    I have an appointment next Wednesday for a steroid injection into my knee so I will ask for any feedback from them
  • DMTJ
    Options
    That is reassuring to hear. Maybe I'm just having a bad few weeks, which is quite common for me at this time of the year. I use the pen as I find it difficult to administer the injection because of my hands.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    In my experience my PsA can still have a go if it wishes despite my taking injected meth and humira: our diseases are stubborn beasts and can refuse to be subdued. I hope the steroid does make a difference, make sure you rest the joint properly afterwards so it has time to sink in and get to work. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben