Start new job Thursday!

Options
Rach101
Rach101 Member Posts: 165
Well I start my new job on Thursday and I'm really looking forward to it. I'm very nervous about it too as I have no idea how I'll cope with a full day of work as I've not done one since I got the arthritis. I'm aiming to go prepared with anti inflammatory gel, compression socks and gloves, painkillers etc. Any other tips?

Also, I have been managing to do a fair bit of exercise over the past few months but I've decided to stop doing any for a week or two until I know how I cope with the job. Does that sound sensible? I don't want to go backwards but I still get a lot of ankle pain so I want to minimise that as much as possible. I find the whole concept of exercise and arthritis to be very baffling as it does seem to help with symptoms but it seems illogical to exercise with ankle and foot pain, I've read the info online but still don't really understand why it helps! Any thoughts?

Thanks xx

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,710
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I do hope the job goes well and well done for getting it :D

About exercise. If you read the Arthritis Care booklet on it you'll see there are both range of movement exercises and strengthening ones. If flaring, I've always been advised to forget about the strengthening ones but carry on gently and regularly with the range of movement to keep that going.

Our muscles soon learn when they're not needed and take a rest. This leaves them weak and not supporting the joints properly. If the joints aren't supported they deteriorate quicker and actually hurt more.

So, I'd say carry on with range of movement exercises but not stuff that will put pressure on your ankles eg walking a lot where they are bearing all your weight.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Rach101
    Options
    Thanks SW, that makes a lot of sense :)
  • nearlybionic
    nearlybionic Member Posts: 1,899
    Options
    HI
    I hope your first day and your new job goes well. It sounds like you are well prepared and Sticky has given you good advice re exercise.
    Good luck!! :)
    NB
  • TheLordFlasheart
    TheLordFlasheart Member Posts: 302
    Options
    Hi Rach,

Hope all goes well in your new job.
    "Stoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast"
  • Rach101
    Options
    Thanks for the good wishes :D
  • daffy2
    daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
    Options
    Hope all has gone well for you today - and that any tiredness is 'good' tiredness from new experiences and people rather than the usual arthritis drudgery.
  • Rach101
    Options
    Thanks Daffy. Today went very well, I was office based all day so was rather stiff by the end! Feet and ankles are v sore now and I'm tired but not excessively so, will have a hot bath and hopefully will be ready to go again tomorrow!