Enbrel injection .....stinging

Options
valde
valde Member Posts: 271
edited 31. Jan 2017, 12:31 in Living with Arthritis archive
Good evening
Does anyone else inject Enbrel and if so is it suppose to sting when doing this. I do not get stinging when injecting Mtx. I inject Mtx Mon and Enbrel Wednesdays in top of legs different leg for each injection. I cannot face injecting in stomach. Stinging does not last long but am relatively new to this Enbrel and looking for tips. Nurse was not concerned re stinging. Thank you

Comments

• LignumVitae
    LignumVitae Member Posts: 1,972
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Yep, it does sting a bit but not as much as humira. I find the longer I leave it to warm up out of the fridge the less the sting :bee: I so had to use that gorgeous bee there, sorry. It does sting less in your tummy too so if you can work up to that it may be the lesser of two evils.
    Hey little fighter, things will get brighter
  • valde
    valde Member Posts: 271
    Options
    Thank you for replying. I usually take out of fridge around half to an hour before but I will leave out for 2/3 hours Wednesday and try that way. Thanks again and I loved the Bee made me smile.
  • LignumVitae
    LignumVitae Member Posts: 1,972
    Options
    I'd start with 45 minutes to an hour, I find that's enough for it to be less stingy. I hope it works for you! It does seem to be about temperature which is why the meth doesn't sting but those from the fridge do. Equally, in summer they sting less because they warm up faster and further than in winter. Here's another bee so that if it still stings you can at least smile at the thought of the bee! :bee: :bee: :bee:
    Hey little fighter, things will get brighter
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I didn't have this trouble with Enbrel but I did with the older version of humira. One of the 'joys' of using the tummy as a site is that there are fewer nerve endings so I use my upper thighs for the tiny meth stuff and my tummy for the bigger whacks of humira. A tip I learned from the My Child board is that an ice cube, rubbed over the injection site, can numb the skin sufficiently for the injection. It's not pleasant but it does fade sooner rather than later, it just doesn't seem that way! DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben