Correct Arthritis Diagnosis?

Options
Tony1
Tony1 Member Posts: 10
edited 3. Feb 2017, 09:34 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi all,
I am currently under a Rheumotologist who has told me I have Reactive arthritis. When I check all the literature I've received from the forum helpline (which is great !), and my own experience , my symptoms don't seem anything like reactive arthritis. My own GP gave an initial DX of Polymyalgia Rheumatica, the symptoms of which seem to be spot on and I was happy to settle for this.
My dilemma is should I challenge my Rheumo on his DX and risk his possible disapproval , or just say nothing carry on and hope he's right?
Regards,
Tony.

Comments

• LignumVitae
    LignumVitae Member Posts: 1,972
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    There's no reason why you shouldn't say to your rheumatologist that your GP gave you the initial diagnosis and you'd like to ask why they feel that is incorrect and the reactive arthritis is more appropriate. For one the rheumatologist will most likely have done more detailed blood tests which a GP won't be authorised to ask for and for another they will have greater experience and knowledge of reading those results so be prepared for them being able to justify their diagnosis. That said, everybody makes mistakes and gets things wrong, even rheumatologists and GPs.
    Hey little fighter, things will get brighter
  • Tony1
    Tony1 Member Posts: 10
    Options
    Thx lignumVitae, will give it some thought.
    Tony.
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,714
    Options
    I'm sure LV is right. (She usually is :D ) It's not so much what one says as how one says it. It's possible to ask about things without being challenging or argumentative. I think the facts are quite simple in your case. The GP thought PR, which made sense to you whereas ReA doesn't. You can freely admit you looked them up here or on ARUK though I wouldn't mention the G word :wink: (Google)
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright