Ankylosing spondylitis

Options
vicky743
vicky743 Member Posts: 4
edited 2. Apr 2017, 04:17 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi everyone. I just wanted to introduce myself. I'm Vic and I have 4 children 1 dog 1 grumpy lovely partner. I have ankylosing spondylitis.

I've not tried any other forums or spoken to anyone who has AS but I have come to a point now after being diagnosed for 1 year but had symptoms since early 20's ( I'm 40 now).
I usually just get on with things but I'm finding the pain and frustration are really getting me down at the moment.
Does anyone else find that people just do not understand?

Hope that I can speak with others that are going through the same thing xx

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,713
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Vic and welcome to the forum :) I'm glad you've decided to join us as we all need somewhere to go where people just understand without us having to spell everything out.

I have RA (and OA). I don't have AS or a dog but a 'grumpy partner'? Oh yes, my beloved is that at times :lol: (Mind you, so is his wife :wink: )

We do have people with AS on here. I'm not sure they're such 'frequent flyers' as OAers or RA / PsAers but they are here as are many others with OA back, neck and shoulder problems.

If you're currently in a lot of pain might it be worth asking for an earlier appointment with your rheumatologist? Maybe your meds need tweaking a little. Though sometimes our blood results can show little disease activity while our pain levels are sky high due to damage already done :roll:

It's so true that people don't understand the difficulties of living with any sort of arthritis unless they have it themselves but I guess that's the same for any long-term condition. Over the all-too-many years, I've learned to do what I can but not be afraid to say what I can't do or what I need help with. I no longer abhor gadgets to 'make my life easier'. These days they make much of it possible :D

But sometimes it's good to just come on here and tell it like it is to the reluctantly initiated. There are many of us and you are most welcome.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hello Vicky and a warm welcome form me...Im afraid I wont be much help, but has I say to other try the search at the top of the forum, hopefully something will come up...and its good to talk to people that understand some of what you are going through.. :)
    Love
    Barbara
  • lynnemarie1123
    lynnemarie1123 Member Posts: 295
    Options
    Hiya x
    Welcome x I too am 40 diagnosed since I was 30 although symptoms around much before then.

I have 2 children, a grumpy non understanding hubby. 3 cats, 3 Guinea pigs, 1 bunny, 1 hamster. And a partridge in a pear tree lol.

I have sereonegative arthritis and osteoarthritis. I think Some of my symptoms are under the AS umbrella. What are your symptoms please?
    I'm currently on a biological simponi, methotrexate, celecoxib and co-codamol.
    What are you currently on ? Xx
  • babydoll0141917
    babydoll0141917 Member Posts: 1
    Options
    Morning ..my hubby suffers with AS OA and Major Gout.. Has had AS since 16 ..He is on Beneparli self inject ..he is having a bad time at the mo with foot ankle and toe gout ... Hurting more has he has OA of the ankles .. He is on oral morph , Tramadol acoxia colchicine's and allopurinol for gout, to say he rattles is an understatement :)