sjcavill1 Member Posts: 4
Good Morning,
I'm new to the forum and quite desperate to get some advice regarding employment .
My background is I'm a 50 year old male diagnosed with sero negative rheumatoid arthritis four years ago . I am a self employed carpenter and joiner for the past 34 years.
Despite taking prescribed Saluzine and mexomatrate I still am in considerable pain in hands, fingers and shoulders which isn't too helpful for a carpenter!
This has lead to less and less work I am able to undertake as my strength an health has deteriorated.
I recently enquired at my local job centre as to my options in the
Employment market and felt I didn't receive any constructive options.I was told to look at other work or retrain as I don't have very good computer skills .
I can't apply for any benefits or financial assistance due to my self employed status (despite paying all due tax and N.I.contributions)
This left quite upset and confused, this was before Christmas, I have applied for several jobs but haven't been successful at present.
This has led me to use all my savings and am now . struggling to meet my financial obligations.
would be extremely grateful if you could either offer some advice or the name of any organization that do so.
Many thanks,
Stephen Cavill.


  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hello Stephen

    Welcome to the forums from the moderation team.

    Sharon's advice is very good, but I was wondering whether you thought it worth applying for Personal Independence Payment - PIP.

    I don't know whether you'll be eligible, but it is a benefit which is not based on your work-status. Anyone can apply. Have you taken any advice from an agency such as the Citizens Advice?

    Best of luck and please do let us know how you get on.

  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,686
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi there, Stephen and welcome from me too.

    I think Ellen and Sharon have covered all bases but I'd emphasise how helpful Citizens Advice can be and also thought this government site detailing eligibility for PIP might help. https://www.gov.uk/pip/eligibility

    Depending on how bad your hands are (I have RA which started in my hands many years ago) I wonder how you might get on with smaller carpentry jobs. I'm thinking of my sons, one of whom makes cricket bats and the other who used to do wood turning. I think there are markets out there for small, hand-crafted wooden ornaments but the only reason I'm suggesting it is because it would appear (to the absolute novice) that you'd be dealing with lighter, more easily handled pieces of wood. I think, as essentially a new business, this might qualify for a government grant https://www.gov.uk/business-finance-support-finder
    Citizens Advice would know far more than I do. Good luck.

    Oh, and if you want any support of the encouragement and understanding variety, Living With Arthritis is a good place to post.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright