Hip graft - any advice?

Options
LisaJ86
LisaJ86 Member Posts: 13
edited 10. Feb 2017, 18:57 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi all,

I posted here a while ago asking if anyone had heard of osteoarthritis in the sternum? Which is unfortunately what I have! It's been a crazy few months being passed about between surgeons and doctors as they wanted me to have an injection into the joint! I have finally got to the stage where I will have my operation soon, I have my pre op on Monday!

After trolling the internet about osteoarthritis in the sternum and coming up with nothing the only thing I can ask about is a hip graft? Have people had successful hip grafts? Does anyone have any hints and tips about recovery?

I've been told I will be in hospital for a week then hopefully recovering well after 6 weeks! I have read the useful tips guide on here which is great! I'm just getting a bit nervous as it is getting closer!

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can give!

Lisa xx

Comments

• LisaJ86
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Sharon,

Thank you very much for replying and looking into this for me. I'm having the bad bone in my manubriosternal joint taken away then bone from my hip put in and a metal plate over the top. I've been told that it is very rare and 5 years ago they wouldnt have done this type of surgery! It's been a battle to get them to recognise the pain I have and diagnose me properly as no one thought it would be osteoarthritis! Because they have taken So long with it my ribs have even started to come loose and move about! 😳

I am really looking forward to being normal again after the surgery- being able to breathe / talk/ cough /sneeze / generally move etc! 😅

Thanks again

Lisa
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,713
    Options
    Hello Lisa. I do remember you but I'm afraid I'll be no help (again :roll: :lol: ) other than to wish you all the best.

I had bone grafts when I had my knee revision but I'm not even sure they were my own bone let alone where from if so.

I do hope all goes well and you can 'breathe freely' afterwards :)
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • LisaJ86
    Options
    Thank you, yes I remembered you replying last time. Thank you very much for your well wishes! I hope you are well too, it sounds like you have been through a lot.

I didn't realise my emojis would do that on my last reply! Whoops!
  • dibdab
    dibdab Member Posts: 1,498
    Options
    Sorry I've nothing to add, but just wanted to wish you well with the surgery. It's amazing the leap forwards that are being made in medicine, and all the new techniques being developed to help folks.

Hope the pre op goes well and you're soon back to breathing(slightly essential :wink: ), laughing etc without pain.

Deb xx
  • LisaJ86
    Options
    Thank you for your well wishes Deb! Xx
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Options
    Hi Lisa

I wish you well with your operation when it comes around.

I had bone taken from my hip in 2011 when I had a C5 vertebrectomy and C4 to 6 cervical fusion. I also had a metal plate fitted to keep it all stable initially until the bone graft took. The metal plate has not been removed and is doing no harm but is of no use once the bone graft does its brilliant job.

It was a very successful operation for me and prevented more damage being done to my spinal cord which was affecting my left leg at times when walking and giving me pins and needles in my left arm.

I can see and feel where the piece of bone from the hip was taken. Amazing what can be done nowadays. :)

Elna
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.